Advice on when to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RecyclingBinh

Class of 2014 hopeful!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys I need some professional advice.

I have not taken Physics 1 or 2 or Genetics or Human Physiology and do not know when to take my MCAT. For the Fall 2008 semester, I will be taking Human Genetics, Genetics, and Physics 1.

I want to take a prep course in the fall and take the MCAT in January. the problem is that I would not be finished with Physics 2 or Human Physiology which is needed on the MCAT.

I want to take the MCAT ASAP to do better overall nationally. The sooner I take it, the better my percentage. Then apply on May 1 to medical school.

Do you guys think that this is a rush??? Should I wait to take the MCAT in April or May and apply to medical school on May 1??? What if I do horrible on my first try and the medical school sees my bad grade?

What should I do regarding MCAT, applying, and when to take prep course and which one: Kaplan or Princeton.

Thanks guys!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to take the MCAT ASAP to do better overall nationally. The sooner I take it, the better my percentage. Then apply on May 1 to medical school.

Doesn't everyone want to take it and do better than all the other 40,000 test takers? If I were you, I'd take the MCAT next spring. You really should take the physics class. Think of how many people have taken it and you haven't? Serious disadvantage.

I have no idea what you're talking about with this applying earlier to get better scores? When you take it won't matter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lolz prof3ssion4l advice lolz.

neways why are you taking genetics and human genetics? Your college actually requires both?

If you want to take MCAT in january then you should study over summer, study physics 2 and physiology. EK books and a textbook for each subject should be enough.

And if you really think that the sooner you take it the better you will do because of an easier curve, you could also consider taking a Kaplan during the summer, and take the MCAT sometime in the fall

ok guys I need some professional advice.

I have not taken Physics 1 or 2 or Genetics or Human Physiology and do not know when to take my MCAT. For the Fall 2008 semester, I will be taking Human Genetics, Genetics, and Physics 1.

I want to take a prep course in the fall and take the MCAT in January. the problem is that I would not be finished with Physics 2 or Human Physiology which is needed on the MCAT.

Do you guys think that this is a rush??? Should I wait to take the MCAT in April or May and apply to medical school on May 1??? What if I do horrible on my first try and the medical school sees my bad grade?

What should I do regarding MCAT, applying, and when to take prep course and which one: Kaplan or Princeton.

Thanks guys!!!

well Human Genetics is more of like a pre-med student course. Genetics is just to cover the biology major. So taking both won't hurt.

I don't think studying books is going to help much. I learn better when it is taught to me instead of me reading from a book.

well Human Genetics is more of like a pre-med student course. Genetics is just to cover the biology major. So taking both won't hurt.

I don't think studying books is going to help much. I learn better when it is taught to me instead of me reading from a book.

Firstly, listen to what people say on here. Most people have gone through it and are going through so the advice is pretty accurate.

As has been said, it is a myth that certain test dates are easier than others. If you want to believe that to be the case, go for it, but understand that the only evidence you have indicating so is anecdotal (keep in mind that you're not only curved against people taking the same test as you).

Secondly, the earliest day you can submit your AMCAS is June 1st, though it does open May 1st or early may. They start verifying people mid june and schools send out secondaries early august, so taking your MCAT april or may is fine, as is june and to a lesser degree july.

That being said, if you want to do as well as you can, why not take the MCAT after you've taken all the classes rather than when you think it will be the easiest. The former has done many people before you quite well while the latter is based purely on myth.