Advice on when to take the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedWonk

高飛車
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm finishing my pre-reqs in Summer 2012. The last MCAT dates are in September, and Physics (two semesters' worth in 7 weeks) will be finishing up August 10th. Would 4-ish weeks be enough to prep for the MCAT, or do you think it would be better to slow down and take it in January 2013?

I'd still have class in the fall, just not as intense as summer physics. It'd probably be biochem and some expository writing course.

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend January for your timeline.

My perspective is this: I would much rather have adequate time to prepare for the test(4 weeks is week imo) rather than be fresh on the material. This test reflects how well you can study for the MCAT, and the more time you alot yourself to focus on mastering the necessary information the better you'll do.

Why are the only options January or September? Why can't you take in May or June?

If January or September are the only options, I'd definitely go with January.

I could take it in May or June 2013, but it'll be quite far removed from when I would finish my pre--reqs. If I take it in May or June 2012, then I won't have my pre-reqs done yet (no physics). September 2012 and January 2013 would be the best options. I kinda wished they had test dates in October and November, but I can see why they don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
I could take it in May or June 2013, but it'll be quite far removed from when I would finish my pre--reqs. If I take it in May or June 2012, then I won't have my pre-reqs done yet (no physics). September 2012 and January 2013 would be the best options. I kinda wished they had test dates in October and November, but I can see why they don't.

You don't have to complete all of your pre-reqs, especially if it's just physics. MCAT physics is fairly basic and could probably be learned easily from a review book.