Advice on Whether to Drop a Class or Not???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoulinNeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm taking Orgo II this semester, along with A&P1. I'm also planning on taking the MCAT in May. Yesterday, I got the syllabus for A&P1 and it was, as expected, a lot, but I don't think I was prepared for that much. I've been preparing for the MCAT, and I think it's going relatively well, but I don't want A&P1 prep to interfere too much. Now, however, I'm considering dropping A&P1 before it can show up as a W on my transcript.

Here's the problem, while my science GPA is currently a 4.0, I only have the basic prerequisites completed (with Orgo II being the last one). I also would like to apply to UIC's medical school, but they require that I have at least one upper level Bio course. Now, I could just put on my AMCAS that I'm planning on taking A&P1 in the Fall, but I'm worried that it would lead to a bunch of schools waitlisting me to see how I do (or is that just a silly fear of mine?). Another thing is that I've taken Orgo I, Physics II, and now Orgo II and A&P1 at a CC(but I'm only applying to schools that I know are at least relatively OK with it).

So, what do you guys think? Should I just tough it out? Anyone have any experience with A&P1 that would be willing to share their thoughts? Thanks!

EDIT: I should mention that these are the only two classes I would be taking this semester.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no comment on whether you should drop or keep the class, but I'm pretty sure that most schools will not mind that you indicate anatomy and physiology as a future course, since its not a strict prerequisite.

I wouldn't take the MCAT in May if you're taking Orgo II and A&P. Those are going to suck up a lot of time alone, and I'm sure you have another 2-3 classes on top of that. I don't really see anyone preparing for the MCAT sufficiently with that much extraneous stuff going on, unless they already have a solid foundation and aren't relying on the studying too heavily for a decent score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take the MCAT in May if you're taking Orgo II and A&P. Those are going to suck up a lot of time alone, and I'm sure you have another 2-3 classes on top of that. I don't really see anyone preparing for the MCAT sufficiently with that much extraneous stuff going on, unless they already have a solid foundation and aren't relying on the studying too heavily for a decent score.
I'm not taking any other classes besides Orgo II and A&P1.

Take something more relevant to the MCAT. If you've already done your physics 2 coursework then it may be a toss up on physiology or genetics. Try to tackle any weak areas in your Biology knowledge.

Take something more relevant to the MCAT. If you've already done your physics 2 coursework then it may be a toss up on physiology or genetics. Try to tackle any weak areas in your Biology knowledge.
Yeah, I've already taken Physics II. My concern is time enough to study for the MCAT, how med schools would view my only having taken the basic prerequisites, some of which at a CC (but like I said, the schools I've applied to are relatively OK with the CC part), I've gotten straight A's in all of my prereqs thus far, and I probably will do so also in Orgo II, but I don't know how much of a difference that will make without more upper level classes, although I don't know how much of a difference one upper level bio class will make in their eyes.

My concern is UIC, and I would put down on my application that I'm planning on taking A&P1 either during the Fall or next Spring semester (can I even put it down that late?), but I fear schools will waitlist me to see how I do in the class.

so not only are you taking the prereqs at a community college but you're only taking 2 classes at a time? who cares about a 4.0 when you're only taking 8 credits?

Drop it. No need for a W because of indecision. Good luck, do well on the MCAT and take it later. Most schools don't even require A&P.

so not only are you taking the prereqs at a community college but you're only taking 2 classes at a time? who cares about a 4.0 when you're only taking 8 credits?
What? I've already graduated with a bachelor's degree. Why would I take more classes than I need to, especially when I can use that time for EC activities? I've been getting straight A's since my freshman year of my university years. The only prereqs I hadn't taken yet were Orgo I & II and Physics II, so why would I take a bunch more classes, for no reason?

EDIT: Going by your few previous posts, you seem to be nothing more than a troll.

Those are going to suck up a lot of time alone, and I'm sure you have another 2-3 classes on top of that.
g.php