Advice on whether to nudge letter writer the third time in a week...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FFH

(Maybe) Certified Therapy Dog
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

There are quite a few schools that I'm interested in require 4 letters....and I'm waiting on my last letter, the second psych letter.

I am not at all worried about the strength of my application or the strength of the letter--this letter writer offered to write me a letter and have been my strongest advocate. Last week I saw this faculty in person at which time he was pretty eager to submit it soon. I have sent the faculty the invite a second time following that conversation. This Sunday I've emailed him letting him know the application had opened and it'd be great if he could submit my letter when he's free, to which he responded with "will do". I would rather not nudge him again--not knowing what's going on in his world. I think there is a high likelihood that that he'd do it sometime this week even without me doing anything. I also know that if I go bug him he'll do it immediately.

Question is, will the delay for a a few days matter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

There are quite a few schools that I'm interested in require 4 letters....and I'm waiting on my last letter, the second psych letter.

I am not at all worried about the strength of my application or the strength of the letter--this letter writer offered to write me a letter and have been my strongest advocate. Last week I saw this faculty in person at which time he was pretty eager to submit it soon. I have sent the faculty the invite a second time following that conversation. This Sunday I've emailed him letting him know the application had opened and it'd be great if he could submit my letter when he's free, to which he responded with "will do". I would rather not nudge him again--not knowing what's going on in his world. I think there is a high likelihood that that he'd do it sometime this week even without me doing anything. I also know that if I go bug him he'll do it immediately.

Question is, will the delay for a a few days matter?
I don't think so, esp since your MSPE hasn't been uploaded. I would think those requiring 4 also want the MSPE too...Maybe Friday early am shoot an email and kindly ask about the update on uploading it to eras, that you understand said person is busy and just sending a friendly reminder. That is if he hasn't then. I would assume if he keeps saying he will he shouldn't be too bothered by asking another time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think so, esp since your MSPE hasn't been uploaded. I would think those requiring 4 also want the MSPE too...Maybe Friday early am shoot an email and kindly ask about the update on uploading it to eras, that you understand said person is busy and just sending a friendly reminder. That is if he hasn't then. I would assume if he keeps saying he will he shouldn't be too bothered by asking another time.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile
I'm pretty confident this faculty would not mind me asking again, but I don't want to do that unless it becomes a necessity. I don't think it matters honestly, but I also don't know that for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt the few days will matter. One of my letter writers took an infuriatingly long amount of time to submit to her letter despite being a very strong supporter of my application and being asked long before the deadline (I don't remember how long but it definitely drug on after application submission). It did not end up making any difference at all as far as I can tell.

I think any more than two nudges a week seems too much, especially since you already have 3 letters, including one from a psychiatrist. Your next nudge should be Friday or next week, but it's very likely he'll have submitted by then.

Don’t bug him this week — early next week should be fine. You risk looking desperate, needy, and inconsiderate of his stated intention to get it done at this point. Seriously can’t see this impacting your chances. Some people won’t even have submitted board scores yet.

Thanks guys! I'm glad that it doesn't really matter.