Advice on your premed experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luvahgilahsa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum so I'll keep it brief.

I'm a senior in high school this year and I have gotten accepted into Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences majoring Bio in December.

I really want to go to medical school, so is there anything I should do, or be aware of? I kinda want to know what to expect, and what sort of things to look for.

Thanks for all of your help~

Members don't see this ad.

Oh, kiddo.

3.5 min gpa, preferably higher.
Good or better MCAT.
ECs: clinical, volunteering, shadowing, research.
Major in something you love, maybe as a fall-back.
Take humanities and do well.
Comp sci, speech are also good.

Don't be a gunner.
Don't sign up for twenty clubs and do nothing in 19.
Don't forget that there is a world outside being premed.
Have a life.
Don't do stupid **** and get underages and dui's on your record.

Oh, kiddo.

Good or better MCAT.

Don't be a gunner.
Have a life.

haha thanks for the heads up about dui stuff~ I'm sure I can keep away from that, I have personal surveillance there.
I like the idea of Humanities. I was thinking about medical research and then work abroad, or in needed neighborhoods, for a summer. Is there a good organization that you would recommend?

Members don't see this ad :)
i would suggest getting to know your prehealth advisor and learn of every opportunity out there for pre-meds. Like for instance after freshman or sophomore year, you can apply for SMDEP...those things like that. Dont be discouraged if you make a C or any "bad" grade in a class, the road is not over. Enjoy the years in college and do things that interest you, not just because you have to. Good luck!!!

haha thanks for the heads up about dui stuff~ I'm sure I can keep away from that, I have personal surveillance there.
I like the idea of Humanities. I was thinking about medical research and then work abroad, or in needed neighborhoods, for a summer. Is there a good organization that you would recommend?
You can check with your school-- they should have an office that deals with students doing community service. Red Cross, BigBrothers, stuff like that... Habitat for Humanity. I don't know anything about Cornell but I'm sure there's a public health organization that would love help.

Also, don't obsess too much over your grades-- do well, but nothing over a C needs to be retaken. Anything under a C probably should be.

take like 2-3 years of a foreign language, some history/culture classes based on the country that language is from, and then study abroad in that country for a summer or a semester.

Oh and another thing.
I heard that students majoring in Bio is going to compete with other Biology ppl when applying for medical school. My friend said that it would be wise not to do biology major because it would be easier to get in if I didn't. Is it really true?
Should I switch major if it really is true?

Oh and another thing.
I heard that students majoring in Bio is going to compete with other Biology ppl when applying for medical school. My friend said that it would be wise not to do biology major because it would be easier to get in if I didn't. Is it really true?

Honestly, your major only matters if you're doing something vocational, like engineering or nursing-- they're not very flexible and it'll be difficult to fit everything in (that said, don't major in nursing unless you want to be a nurse.) One major over another won't change your competitiveness.

If you're majoring in Bio because you love Bio and you'd major in it anyway, major in Bio. Otherwise, maybe pick another path and take the pre-reqs.

Take a humanities class in the midst of all of the labs and science courses you have to take... I think it's nice to be able to think outside of numbers and formulas for at least one class a semester.

Remember, you don't have to apply to some big program to be getting research and other forms of experience. If you find something online or hear about a project that's going on at your school and you want to help, contact the professor and ask about it. I've found that most people are nice and willing to help. Good luck and have fun... you're going to be working forever... enjoy college.

I'm a senior in high school this year and I have gotten accepted into Cornell's College of Arts and Sciences majoring Bio in December.

I really want to go to medical school, so is there anything I should do, or be aware of? I kinda want to know what to expect, and what sort of things to look for.

Yeah.. go out and have fun, get in get in a little trouble. Don't take school half as seriously as most pre-med kids there.

1. consider taking a year or two off between college and med school
2. major in something you enjoy
3. try to do as much as you can in college and have fun! ...if you find yourself studying 24/7 then you are doing something horribly wrong
4. getting in trouble builds character, though getting in BIG trouble is very stressful....i would certainly not advise it....trust me
5. start your activities early but NEVER do anything you don't enjoy doing because you think it'll help you get into med school....you can be spending that time doing something you enjoy that will also help you get into med school.
6. don't befriend too many premeds - especially stay away from the annoying gunners
7. take as many humanities classes as you possibly can if you end up majoring in a science
8. most importantly: get as far away from this website as humanly possible

...and to answer your other question...that stuff about competing only against people with the same major is absolutely false....not an ounce of truth in it

Oh and another thing.

First of all congrats on your undergrad acceptance. I'm sure you are very excited. I don't think being a non-bio major will make it easier for you to get into medical school. It really depends on your performance as an individual in your field of study. Major in what interests you because you are likely to do better in those classes. That will keep your overall GPA up too. Don't declare your major based on someone else's opinion. Only you can decide that for yourself. As for programs you were asking about earlier, a lot of schools sponsor programs such as helping need based communities. Make sure to go to abroad program fairs and such. I found a great research/clinical internship just by reading a flyer on my dorm bathroom wall. Keep your eyes open!

Buddy, take this with a grain of salt. Don't underestimate the power of work ethic. No matter what anyone tells you about the 'tricks of the trade' of undergrad, the one thing that will never fail you is consistent, daily studying. Don't try to just study for the exam - really try to understand the material, that way you'll be in better shape for the MCAT. In all honesty, undergrad is a lot of fun, just be sure to keep your eyes on the prize (and I don't mean a gf), and not get side-tracked from that.

You will really have your work cut out for you at Cornell... Please don't take it lightly, for your own good. I have had numerous intelligent friends go there, get too involved in extracurricular activities, and really screw their GPA over. However, I absolutely believe that if anyone sincerely focuses on what they want, they can do it.

Try to eat healthy/work out. If you aren't already living a healthy lifestyle, now is the best time to start.

Good luck, and enjoy the rest of your senior year!

1. Don't bite off more than you can chew in a given semester. The kids that take 18-21 hours a semester all get burned. Start out around 15 hours per semester and take the time to actually learn what you are studying. That will make your future MCAT preparations a helluva lot easier.

2. If, down the road you don't like biology, change your major but take the pre-reqs for med school. I have met too many people that absolutely hated their biology major, but they really wanted to get into medical school. The ones that didn't get in were left with a degree that they hated and had no plans of using. Your undergraduate studies should be meaningful to you even if you don't get into medical school.

3. If you are fortunate enough to not have to work during college, start early with the extra curriculars (volunteering, job shadowing, leadership).

Why are you planning to major in Bio? What are your reasons (and don't say because you want to go to med school)? Have you considered any other majors?

Why are you planning to major in Bio? What are your reasons (and don't say because you want to go to med school)? Have you considered any other majors?

haha... I did:smack:~ *sweating bullets*
My supplementary essay was about becoming a doctor.... that's lame isn't it.
The truth is... I suck at bio -___- (one year of freshman bio? yeah....)

Oh, kiddo.

Good or better MCAT.

Don't be a gunner.
Have a life.
You don't have to finish in 3-4 years - take your time. You're getting ready to commit to 6+ years of medical training, don't fret it if you want to take a year to explore/relax
haha... I did:smack:~ *sweating bullets*
My supplementary essay was about becoming a doctor.... that's lame isn't it.
The truth is... I suck at bio -___- (one year of freshman bio? yeah....)
You suck at "bio". Bio, in itself, is a vague term that encompasses so many things that suck (imo). Do you mean bio like plant biology/zoology or bio like physiology/anatomy?

Also, like flip said, don't do bio for pre-med, do it because you're geniunely interested in biology. This is a time in your life where you can pretty much do what you want to do and find out what you want to be.