Advice or feedback on my situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okyeah

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have recently been mulling over the idea of going back to school with the goal of becoming a doctor and I wanted some feedback/advice/opinions on my situation. A little bit of background on myself:

*I'm 25 years old, single
*Human physiology B.S. (Pre-physical therapy track) with psychology minor
*3.19 cumulative GPA
*2.52 sci GPA (Just considering calc, biostats, 2-3 beginning chem courses, 2 bio classes)
-I have several A's in electives that I took in my school's human physiology dept.
-I have A's in Physics I and II but I took them in a community college
-I haven't needed to take organic chem, biochem, or higher due to a physical therapy focus
-I have had to retake 3 pre-requisites that I got two F's and a D+ in
*I have 2 years worth of lab experience with possible publications coming (need to meet with my former PI)
*I currently work at a biotech company, in a lab, and have been for ~4 months. It is mainly production and distribution of oligonucleotides.
*1 year of hospital volunteering

~27k student loan debt

There are several reasons I struggled in undergrad. I had an opportunity to be on the track team at my school and was naive about how much effort I would have to put into everything. This led to poor grades early. Eventually I got a severe back injury (herniated disc) and had to withdraw for a year. I couldn't sit down without severe 10/10 pain. This injury destroyed me and left me in chronic pain for several years. I still have lingering effects and suffer from lumbar facet arthropathy but my pain is MUCH better and controllable now. If that wasn't enough - I tore my ACL later on and had to withdraw for another year. So I have finally gotten my physical problems under control and have grown disillusioned with my "career" and my entire life in general.

I have been reading some of the recommended threads but I figured I might as well post because I guess every situation is unique.

Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reflect on your reasons for considering this path, then make a decision. If you decide to take the plunge, take the rest of your pre-reqs & the MCAT. Not a whole lot can be said for sure until those steps are done.

Reflect on your reasons for considering this path, then make a decision. If you decide to take the plunge, take the rest of your pre-reqs & the MCAT. Not a whole lot can be said for sure until those steps are done.

Fair enough. I have been wondering if it is worth it to just start completely fresh with all my pre-reqs. The fact that I did them already and did poorly is messing with me. Should I just go back for all of them? Or should I just push forward with these and possibly do badly on the MCAT?

Fair enough. I have been wondering if it is worth it to just start completely fresh with all my pre-reqs. The fact that I did them already and did poorly is messing with me. Should I just go back for all of them? Or should I just push forward with these and possibly do badly on the MCAT?

I'd just do the missing ones, do some serious MCAT prep, take a few practice tests, see where things stand and go from there. I can't comment much on the current MCAT because I took the old one, but I think perhaps using Khan academy or other recommended resources to help you learn the material better would of be greater use to you in terms of preparing for the MCAT than taking it again would be. You can't undo the grades you already have, they will be averaged with any new grades for the same courses. An SMP would probably be of better use to you in terms of proving yourself to medical schools. But an SMP is useless if your MCAT isn't at least average.

Reactions: 1 user