SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

advice please + DAT info: bad QR okay average... retake worth it?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by plexi, May 14, 2008.

1. plexi

plexi 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2008
    Please give me advice...

I took the DAT on 5/09/08. I did not feel fully prepared but I had already pushed it back and decided to just take it. Maybe a mistake.

PAT: 19
    RC: 26
    QR: 15
    bio: 20
    GC: 19
    OC: 19
    TS: 19
    AA: 20

So... I am actually not terrible at math, but I am not very fast and I didn't do any timed practice tests so I regulated my time poorly... ran out of time on the PAT and the QR. Had to skip through questions at the end marking random answers :eek:.

My average is okay only because I did well on the RC. I want to apply early, like this month, but I am wondering about my poor score on QR and otherwise average scores. I am a psychobiology major at UCLA and have a 3.61 GPA overall (better grades more recently). I'll have volunteer experience and some shadowing and good letters... Ideally I would get into UCLA dental school because it is close to home but I don't know if that is possible with these scores. I wouldn't mind other places either, closer to San Diego = better though. Loma Linda even though I'm not religious? USC? UCSF or UCLA would be better because of cost but if I was going to UCSF it might as well be another state in terms of proximity. I'm not a homesick kind of person but my family kind of needs me to come home more often than holidays as my mom is unwell.

Do you think it would be better to apply a few months later (after 90-day waiting period for the DAT retake) and retake the DAT to try to do better or apply with what I've got? Will I be immediately dismissed as an applicant from many schools because of the low QR?

Please help! I'm willing to answer any questions about the DAT as I just took it.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. plexi

plexi 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2008
    someone PMed me a few questions and i thought i'd post my answers for anyone else who is interested in RC. these are responses to their questions so sorry if it seems random.

i walked in with a plan to read each paragraph and then write a little note about the content, so i could go back to refer to it. however, this plan kind of broke down because it seemed like it was taking too long. i ended up skimming through the text briefly, then reading the questions and going back to find the information. i ended up finishing early and going back through some questions which i felt a little rushed through the first time around. i would advise not to linger on one question for too long because you don't want to run out of time, especially if it seems like an obscure question.

about bio... there was a question with a gel i think, showing the gel of surface proteins before and after they were treated with a certain thing and asking you to make an evaluating statement on the surface proteins based on the gel results.
  4. allstardentist

allstardentist All-Star 10+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    i suggest you remove the specific topics that were on your rc section. This would give an unfair advantage to those who have read your post over those who have not. As far as your score goes, unless other parts of your application are extraordinary, your chance of getting into ucla is not so good with that score. You really need to boost your DAT score to get in there (greater than 23 AA).
  5. plexi

plexi 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2008
    thanks for your advice. i removed the topics, but i really don't feel that even knowing these topics in advance would have given anyone an advantage. i didn't give any information on what questions were asked or even what was talked about within those topics... even if someone decided to research every RC topic they could find in extreme depth, and they somehow got the same topic (pretty unlikely), they would still need to read and understand the paper because they are written from a certain perspective with specific information. in order to know topics in advance, people would probably have more success reading current science magazines...

yeah i don't think i'll be able to get into ucla either with my scores, i'll have to decide whether or not it's worth it to retake. although, i have read that the ucla AA is 22 so i don't know why i would need an AA greater than 23 (unless the other parts of my application were especially weak, which they are not).

thanks again for your help!
  6. jigabodo

jigabodo Dentist 10+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Do not retake. Your score and GPA are both solid. QR is usually the section that carries the least importance - so you should be more than OK.

Good luck! :)
  7. plexi

plexi 5+ Year Member

May 14, 2008
    thanks for the reassurance! i hope this is the case and i can get into somewhere i want to go.
  8. TheWiredNerv

TheWiredNerv 2+ Year Member

I agree with Jigabodo!!!