Advice please: Do you think I should apply for 2006 or 2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

organichemistry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second year undergrad but am considering applying for dental school this upcoming cycle without a degree instead of waiting until my "natural" cycle.

I need some advice on whether it would be worth my time, though.

My GPA can be found in my stats. I will have completed all my pre-reqs. I will have made all A's, except for B's in World Lit I, Organic II, and Genetics.

I could take study for the DAT in the first 6 weeks of summer and take it in early July; I feel like I will do pretty well, not outstanding (AA ~20-21, PAT ~17-18).

I've got about 20 hours of dentist shadowing under my belt, but I have no research whatsoever.

I feel like my biggest downfall will be my letters of reccomendation. I really don't have any. I could get one from the dentist I shadowed, but beyond that...??? I could get one from my boss that I've had at my workplace for 4 years who could certainly attest to my work ethic and character. Would that be a good one to get? And then I could beg my pre-health advisor to write me one I suppose... although I don't really know her all that well :( . I have no science professors to talk to about writing me an LOR as none of them even know my name.

Do I have a shot at getting in at my state school (Alabama)? I really don't see my application getting much stronger between now and next year... but I feel like my LOR's will be a bit rushed. But really, I don't know what else to do.

Any advice is very welcome...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

apply this summer. why not?
get those sci LORs and non sci asap
take DAT in the summer
but dont apply to UCSF or UCLA because u wont get in mainly cause u are out of state for CA. just apply to LLU, UOP, and USC from cali

I must say that getting those science profs letters of reference are the most anoying/time consuming thing of this whole application process especially because I don't have a pre-dent/health people at my school. However, I don't know a dental school that will accept you without them. So, that's what you should work on getting for a month, if not, your application will be incomplete and they won't even consider you.
If not you still have 3rd and 4th year to get to know profs and ask them for letters. All the best to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
getting reccs is easy if you've showed an interest in the class. How hard is it to ask a professor to write you a letter (takes about three and a half seconds to utter those words and one breath of air)...then keep bugging them. Most usually need 2 to 3 weeks...and you are done. My advice: apply for 2007, you have good grades but need stronger reccs, and don't you want a degree?

what's the best way to get an excellent LOR from a sci prof/adviser?...the science classes at uw seem so huge...seems that it would be hard for the profs to really get to know you

go to their office, make them laugh, joke around with them, keep showing up at their office, do well in the class...and you're set!