Advice please! Last minute decision between UW and OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carsonator

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The MD/MPH program at OHSU was my top choice (w/ UW Seattle a close second), but then I kind of did not expect to get into OHSU after not hearing back from them for several months. Finally, after I had more or less committed to UW, I got the acceptance email from the OHSU MD/MPH program (I could do my mph at UW as well, but it's just an extra year between 3rd and 4th year as opposed to an integrated program like at OHSU).

I am OOS for both (from NC). My interests are: underserved populations, global health, and infectious disease. I feel like both places offer a quality education in my areas of interest, and are located in cities where I would want to live.

Can anyone share information about their opinions about UW, OHSU, Seattle, Portland, or med school advice that could help with my decision? Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should go to UW. It's one of the world's premier academic medical centers and one of the few that doesn't compete with others in close proximity, like NYC or Boston, which gives it a huge advantage for medical education. Harborview is bonkers. The children's hospital is outstanding. It has top-notch residency programs in almost every specialty that people around the country are dying to get into. If your interests change, or if you decide you want to go to a top IM program, UW will put you in much better position.

I don't think there's much that an MD can do with an MPH that he/she can't do without it. If you really want it, then you can take a year off; no big deal, lots of people take a year off in med school.

Reactions: 1 users
The MD/MPH program at OHSU was my top choice (w/ UW Seattle a close second), but then I kind of did not expect to get into OHSU after not hearing back from them for several months. Finally, after I had more or less committed to UW, I got the acceptance email from the OHSU MD/MPH program (I could do my mph at UW as well, but it's just an extra year between 3rd and 4th year as opposed to an integrated program like at OHSU).

I am OOS for both (from NC). My interests are: underserved populations, global health, and infectious disease. I feel like both places offer a quality education in my areas of interest, and are located in cities where I would want to live.

Can anyone share information about their opinions about UW, OHSU, Seattle, Portland, or med school advice that could help with my decision? Thank you all!
I’m in a very similar boat this year. I sent you a PM because I wanted to discuss this further, if you’re okay with it. I know it’s an old thread, so I’m hoping this may work.