Advice, please: question(s) from a foreign student thinking about taking USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nephronlearner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First of all, let me apologize if these questions have been answered already, but I haven't been able to find anything useful.

I am a medical student, studying in Europe (native language program). There are graduates of the school I attend doing their residencies at Harvard hospitals and working as professors at places like Hopkins so school recognition should not be a problem.
I am interested in pursuing academic medicine. This path on this side of the Atlantic lasts a million years (internship + PhD + residency + fellowship = 10-15 years). On top of that, the idea of going elsewhere and experiencing some different culture is quite appealing. So, I am considering taking the USMLE. I am currently in the final year of basic sciences and my grades so far have been... mostly "satisfactory" (I guess that equals C's).

I bought several board review books:
BRS Physiology (which I have been using a lot last year and I answered all the questions in the book getting around 85-90% mostly).
CMMRS, Levinson Review of Microbiology and Immunology
Goljan, Pathoma. I use these 2 to review class material after reading Robbins and lecture notes. As I finish each module, I do questions from Robbins Review, usually scoring around 75% in each chapter.
High Yield Neuroanatomy
BRS Behavioral Science

I would probably take the Step in September 2014 (the school year over here starts in October). I will have 8-10 weeks of summer holidays.

Given my scores in those question sources and given the fact that I'm familiar with all the resources I mentioned, when do you think would be a good time to start studying more seriously for Step 1?
Is it wise to purchase USMLE Rx any time soon?

I suppose to get into University (or at least Uni-affiliated) internal medicine program, I'd need to score in the 240s?
How likely does it seem? What else could I add to my preparation?
Are 7-8 weeks of dedicated study time going to be enough?

I really don't want to pay a few thousand dollars to Kaplan, even though most people at my school do take the course claiming that non-US students can't do too well without it.

I apologize for the long post and I thank you all in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great book collection. Kaplan lecture notes (and you can fish around for some online videos - they are great. Goljian is amazing. Pathoma is also the best compliment to Goljian. First aid is the book - but not to study from, use that as a guide and write all extra stuff there - it must be twice as thick at the end of your study. Do USMLE world ! (must do) ..and of course don't even think of taking USMLE step 1 without going through NMBEs- they will give you the best prediction of your score. Find out where you stand and get to work :). You'll do great. Good luck

Thank you for the response.
I bought the most commonly recommended books so I assume they are fine.
However, I was mostly curious whether ~90% per section in BRS Physiology questions (I know these are easy) and ~75% per section in Robbins Review Book during the school year is a good enough knowledge base to get the score (~240?) to to be competetive for university residencies. (Also, am I correct about the score that's likely to be required?)
And any advice on how to improve Robbins Qbook percentage? (Read on one of the old topics that good students get >90% on that thing :O is that even remotely accurate?)
And, given my current knowledge, when would be a good time to start seriously devoting time to USMLE studying?

If anyone has any advice/insight/anything at all, I'd be very grateful :)

you are correct about the score. Now I would really focus on Kaplan Q bank and even more important U World. Robbins questions are pure pathology and do not really represent real deal. U world is the best. However, do not test yourself with usmle word q bank - use it a learning tool. Do it twice at least. Make sure you write down needed notes to first aid. Then or sometime before take NMBE and see where you stand and also what you should work on. You have to know and be familiar to this test, what and how they ask. Goljian is great since he combines pure academic path with physio, and clinical cases - which is what tested. Also when you write down stuff in your first aid, make sure to make associations (e.g. CF - there's something to write in molecular bio (on channels), resp, GI, genetics and even reproductive section of First Aid. Integrate your concepts throughout the book - since this is how they ask questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Again, I am not looking for advice on how to study (I do know that it is wise to use FA, NBME exams and UWorld) but, rather, I was looking for advice on whether significant imporvement in pathology/physiology is needed. (and the other stuff I asked about)
That being said, thank you very much for the advice and for turning my attention to the way stuff is broken down in FA.
However, I read somewhere that Robbins Review Book was one of the most representative sources of pathology questions. I hope someone else who has used it can comment and clear up the confusion.
I am mostly trying to find out where I stand compared to US medical students in those subjects; especially pathology.

Reach out to them and ask them what steps you should be taking.

I kind of doubt they want personal e-mails from every student attending the same school who would like to take the tests.
And out of the huge couple of posts i wrote you picked the single most irrelevant statement. Yes, the school I attend has produces some world class doctors, some of whom work at American universities. And, no, I am not going to message a BWH resident that I have only read about in the school journal, asking about USMLE Step 1.

Look, I don't know if you really wanted to help or just felt the need to mock. But, I'm just looking for some advice from people who have recently taken the exam regarding studying USMLE stuff with classes, BRS Physiology questions (=physiology background), Robbins Question Book score (=pathology background), time required and competitive scores for FMG. If you really did try to help, thank you.

I kind of doubt they want personal e-mails from every student attending the same school who would like to take the tests.
And out of the huge couple of posts i wrote you picked the single most irrelevant statement. Yes, the school I attend has produces some world class doctors, some of whom work at American universities. And, no, I am not going to message a BWH resident that I have only read about in the school journal, asking about USMLE Step 1.

Look, I don't know if you really wanted to help or just felt the need to mock. But, I'm just looking for some advice from people who have recently taken the exam regarding studying USMLE stuff with classes, BRS Physiology questions (=physiology background), Robbins Question Book score (=pathology background), time required and competitive scores for FMG. If you really did try to help, thank you.

I definitely didn't recommend you contact them to ask them about STUDYING. Rather, to ask them about what you should/shouldn't be doing to attain your goals. Of course you'll have to build up to it and some of them might not be receptive. Don't take it personally, and move onto the next one. I'm not being facetious and I don't think I have to explain how important networking is.

The reason I didn't address your other comments was 1) They're all answered already in the forums and 2) I haven't taken the Step, and you appeared to desire someone who'd already taken it to comment. However, I shall oblige you with a honest assessment:

Given my scores in those question sources and given the fact that I'm familiar with all the resources I mentioned, when do you think would be a good time to start studying more seriously for Step 1?
Doesn't mean anything (explained below), and ASAP

Is it wise to purchase USMLE Rx any time soon?
Yep

How likely does it seem? What else could I add to my preparation?
Are 7-8 weeks of dedicated study time going to be enough?

3xYou'll only know once you take a practice test.

I really don't want to pay a few thousand dollars to Kaplan, even though most people at my school do take the course claiming that non-US students can't do too well without it.
BS

I apologize for the long post and I thank you all in advance :)
Hope it helps :)

I bought the most commonly recommended books so I assume they are fine
Nope. FA + UW should be your base, as has already been recommended to you.

However, I was mostly curious whether ~90% per section in BRS Physiology questions (I know these are easy) and ~75% per section in Robbins Review Book during the school year is a good enough knowledge base to get the score (~240?) to to be competetive for university residencies. (Also, am I correct about the score that's likely to be required?)

It's not. Academic medicine is requires superb pre-clinical and clinical grades. For the Step, 240 is barely adequate for an IMG, no matter what you 'hear'. See my comments regarding %s on Qbooks below.

And any advice on how to improve Robbins Qbook percentage? (Read on one of the old topics that good students get >90% on that thing :O is that even remotely accurate?)
And, given my current knowledge, when would be a good time to start seriously devoting time to USMLE studying?

If anyone has any advice/insight/anything at all, I'd be very grateful :)

I cannot stress this enough. Your 'scores' on QBook questions mean ****all in terms of gauging your readiness for the step.

Again, I am not looking for advice on how to study (I do know that it is wise to use FA, NBME exams and UWorld) but, rather, I was looking for advice on whether significant imporvement in pathology/physiology is needed. (and the other stuff I asked about)

And yet you're choosing to disregard it? Very unwise.

However, I read somewhere that Robbins Review Book was one of the most representative sources of pathology questions. I hope someone else who has used it can comment and clear up the confusion.

You were misinformed.

I am mostly trying to find out where I stand compared to US medical students in those subjects; especially pathology.

A practice NBME will tell you exactly that.

Last edited:
Thank you for the assessment.
Unfortunately, most of my knowledge about the American system comes from wikipedia and googling through SDN threads. The 1st time I even heard of the exam was less than a year ago. As a current student, I really don't have enough time to spend hours going through each and every thread on this forum. I apologize if starting this discussion has made anyone uncomfortable.

Are you an American medical student? (curious, because I can't imagine someone who hasn't taken the test having all the information about what is useful and what isn't. Quite impressive, actually)

I did not choose to disregard any advice. The stuff I read about Robbins questions was actually from an old SDN thread. I do know things chance, which is why I asked.
240 is borderline? For what? Getting residency at all or being competitive for some university programs?
And judging by what most posters say, basic science grades are not too important for anything.

I am currently in the beginning of my pathology, microbiology and pharmacology courses. I will take the NBME once those courses are over.

I am planning to buy the FA in January.

Thank you again.

Thank you for the assessment.
Unfortunately, most of my knowledge about the American system comes from wikipedia and googling through SDN threads.
As does a fair percentage of mine :)

As a current student, I really don't have enough time to spend hours going through each and every thread on this forum.
You only have to browse the relevant ones, and actually peruse only a few before some patterns become evident. I don't mind it so much, but were I in a foul mood, I might respond to your comment as - We are all current students. We are all short on time. Why should we address your questions or help you, if you can't be bothered to help yourself? - Just food for thought. I'm not cross with you :)

Are you an American medical student? (curious, because I can't imagine someone who hasn't taken the test having all the information about what is useful and what isn't. Quite impressive, actually)
I'm not. I attend school in Eastern Europe. I'm also in touch with people all over the world who are currently preparing for / have already taken the Step outside of this forum.

240 is borderline? For what? Getting residency at all or being competitive for some university programs?

The last reported national mean was 227 I believe. 240 isn't even 1 SD away. Unfortunately, I can't give you a formula to follow.

And judging by what most posters say, basic science grades are not too important for anything.

A large number of those posters are AMGs. Competition for us is harder. Any red flags will be addressed. Like I've alluded before, there is no reason for someone aiming for academic medicine to have sub-standard, or even standard academic transcripts. The good news is that an upward trend is always appreciated, so work at improving your grades and keeping an upward trend. Not, however, at the cost of Step 1.

I am currently in the beginning of my pathology, microbiology and pharmacology courses. I will take the NBME once those courses are over.
Yep, makes no sense for you to take one now. You wanted to assess your mastery of pathology in relation to the Step, I merely told you the best way (as opposed to counting %s from qbooks)

I am planning to buy the FA in January.
Good plan. And good luck!

Thank you again.
You're most welcome.

I obviously did go through plenty of topics which I found. And I still felt I wanted some other things clarified so I asked. Of course you didn't have to respond but I believe that forums are indeed the place where people can help each other. For what it's worth I have always tried to give some sound advice to posters struggling with subjects I had already passed.

Are you an American attending school overseas or also a foreigner interested in residency programs? Btw, which year are you in?

I do know that academic medicine is not easy to get into. Apparently the path most people from my school took was: residency wherever they got it followed by fellowship and research fellowship done at better institutions (I'm obviously not aiming at anything elite).

I guess all we both really can is try to get the best score we can, hopefully a lot above average and see what happens. Luckily, Europe isn't bad either if the US route fails :p