Advice Please!! Should I retake my DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maddentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Ive taken the DAT's last year. My scores and GPA for last year were

18 RC
18 QR
19 PAT
20 BIO
22 CHEM
27 OC
22 TS
21 AA

3.07 cGPA 3.08 sGPA

I applied last year in June for in state TX and to 10 other schools in November for out of state (USC, UoP, Boston, Meharry, NYU and all the easier schools). I didn't get one interview. :(

This year my GPA is
3.2 cGPA and sGPA about 3.2 and Im graduating this summer.

Ive been studying for the DAT again and Im not sure if I should retake it? My plan is to retake it by the end of August if i don't get any interviews, because i feel thats my only chance? My GPA will only go up by .1 if I take 25+ hours of all A's.

Anyone with these stats get accepted or get interviews anywhere? Any advice would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

those are some pretty solid scores
and you didnt even get an interview?

darn i must be screwed then

I dunno what the deal with TX schools is, but the other schools you applied to was SUPER late....

I don't think you need a retake, thats a strong DAT score, I think your new GPA will carry you. Just apply to those out of staters early june like you did with TX schools.

Texas schools open their application service TMDSAS one month (may) earlier than AADSAS, so it would be considered even more late, and I think that's probably the biggest issue, talking with tx schools they really stressed applying early.

Honestly, those scores are very solid, i'm sure this year with an early application you'll have better results. gl

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate everyones comments. I think Im going to be on the safe side and study for the DAT anyways. As for taking it, I guess Ill call the schools to see whether its necessary in August.

Its just so much cheaper to go to Texas and pay instate tuition. $25K a year versus $60K-100K out of state.

Anyone get accepted out of state with similar stats?

I appreciate everyones comments. I think Im going to be on the safe side and study for the DAT anyways. As for taking it, I guess Ill call the schools to see whether its necessary in August.

Its just so much cheaper to go to Texas and pay instate tuition. $25K a year versus $60K-100K out of state.

Anyone get accepted out of state with similar stats?

I totally agree and understand what your saying. 100k vs 350k in debt is alot of difference. But if you think about it, 100 or 350, both are huge amounts, and to be honest, getting into ANY dental school should be a number 1 priority... after you get into at least 1 school, then you can be picky about which one costs the least (in-state / out-of-state) assuming you land multiple acceptance letters

Good luck to ya, I think this will be your year

I think with a 21 AA and a 3.2 you should at least get accepted to one school. APPLY EARLY!!!! Within 1 month of the application opening and your chances will be MUCH MUCH MUCH Better in TX.

So i was thinking, if i retake my DAT and get a lower score. Could i just not submit them and pretend like i never retook it? lol would this work. If so i am soooooo retaking it.

So i was thinking, if i retake my DAT and get a lower score. Could i just not submit them and pretend like i never retook it? lol would this work. If so i am soooooo retaking it.

No, I think all scores go to dental schools. The good news is, I think they really only care about your highest score, so don't worry too much.

Good luck.

I think you should retake the DATs. Only a 27 in Orgo? Come on man...you can do better than that ;)

on another note, I know of a friend who had similar stats and best thing you can do is apply early. Seeing as how you've already applied June last time and you still didn't get interviews (which I find quite surprising) I'd say call up one of the schools you really wish to attend and schedule a meeting with the dean. I've found the best way to find out what gives is to go straight to the source (and be unrelenting) I emailed the dean at umdnj multiple times before he agreed to meet with me to discuss my file. This is your future; don't be rude but no need to be shy and extremely polite either. Take the initiative and find out what is stopping you from being a competitive applicant. I certainly doubt it's your DAT. Those scores are phenomenal. If I had to pin it down, I'd say it would be your GPA. But even with that gpa, there's no reason why you couldn't even get an interview or two.

Like i said, go to the source. Good luck! :)

Last edited: