SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by BA, Jul 14, 1999.

1. BA

BA

Here's the bullet. 3.5 overall GPA, 3.65 science gpa. MCAT= 8V 7P 8B. 3 years experience with EMS, finishing up Paramedic cert. 1600 hours Vol experience, as well as teaching experience at a medical prep academy. I am highly interested in osteopathic medicine, little worried about the MCAT scores. Any advice?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Henry

Henry Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 1998
    Honestly, You MCAT is not bad but to become a stronger candidates, you need at least 25 to 26. My adivce is, retake MCAT and do better. Good luck.

4. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 17, 1998
    Kansas
    I found that my EMS experience seemed to be looked upon highly during the application process and was very important during the interviews. It may help you a lot in your application process.

5. njdevil

njdevil 10+ Year Member

Jan 15, 1999
    Philadelphia, PA
    I would definitely take the MCAT again. You could still apply. That seven is going to hurt you...you are a long shot. 8's and 9's...at least one nine...a second and third solidify the app.

6. 3more2go

3more2go Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 15, 1999
    You WILL be accepted even with those scores. Apply as SOON as possible to as many schools as possible

7. Henry

Henry Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 30, 1998
    Hi 3more2go,

"Will be accepted" is a strong comment. Even people with good gpa and strong MCAT may get rejection from med school.

This is only my opinion. No offense.

8. edgar

edgar Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 1, 1998
    Pomona, CA
    I remember when I was applying to UMDNJ-SOM for this year's entering class, they wrote on their application that people scoring under the national mean on the MCAT (8s all across)are at a competitive disadvantage. This is from the mouth of the admissions committee at this particular school.

EDGAR

9. BA

BA

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the advice.