advice please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtorres

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello to all. i am going thru this ek 1001 questions in physics. while they are mostly manageable, there is some questions that seem geared towards a PhD in physics (just exagerating a bit). i have taken 4 amcas practice mcats and scored between 7 and 9 on the PS with no physics review. now that i am reviewing i dont remember seeing anything of the nature of some of these questions on the practice tests. am i spending to much valuable time over-preparing? i am learning and memorizing all these formulas that are not even in kaplan's comprehensive review unnecessarily? i know that a big part of physics is being able to manipulate equations but some of this stuff is not even remotely close to what i encountered on the amcas practice test. should i just stick to the basic nuts and bolts of physics and get really good at that? or should i continue to try to learn all these concepts? i would rather be over-prepared instead of not prepared enough and i know that it cant hurt me to actually learn and understand all 1001 questions. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I found that 1001 was helpful for targeting *specific* weak areas in solving *specific* types of problems in physics. For example, I was having issues with pulleys, and so there were like 2-3 pages on pulleys that I rammed through. Say you know how to calculate acceleration from graphs really easily... then stay away from that area. MCAT physics tends to be easy, and you can figure it out easily using the passage. I got an RLC circuit on my MCAT with graphs! I freaked out, but I was able to solve it easily using just the equations they gave. Use 1001 just for problem areas though, in the *basic* classic-type problems of physics.

By your username, JTorres, can I assume you're hispanic? Don't be offended, but *fortunately* for you, in that case, you'll be helped by affirmative action admissions... a 10 in PS could carry the same weight as a 14, say... so you may not need to freak out too much. Just saying.

I think the physics 1001 starts off helping you get a feel for how to do the kinetics, projectile, simple stuff in your head which is awesome. I havent been past the forces section yet, but those are near impossible. I think they just made those questions really hard on purpose to try to get you to understand the concepts better. Too bad that strategy doesnt work when they give you 10 words for an explanation. Its your call

anon-y-mouse said:
By your username, JTorres, can I assume you're hispanic? Don't be offended, but *fortunately* for you, in that case, you'll be helped by affirmative action admissions... a 10 in PS could carry the same weight as a 14, say... so you may not need to freak out too much. Just saying.

no offense taken my friend things are what they are. neither you nor i can do anything to change them. still med school admission is a luck-of-the-draw process and i cant allow the rest of my life to depend on a flip of the coin. with that said i must put as much effort and work into it as anybody else. i have to some how score a 10 on that PS.