advice, please?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lalalala, Oct 8, 2002.

1. lalalala

hi everyone, i'm new here, but if anyone could drop me a line w/ some advice, i'd really appreciate it :) i posted this on an earlier thread about AMCAS applications, but it kinda fell off the page... thanks!

<<Hi everyone,

I am a new poster here. I won't be starting the application process till next April, but I was curious about the AMCAS part of the application that deals w/ activities/work/research etc. Do you list everything in one list? or do you separate them? I'm just asking b/c my gpa wasn't too hot my first year, but the next few years i really made a change and brought it up, but i was really only involved in a few activities cuz of that, but was more involved with research-- working at the hospital affiliated w/ my school, and also involved in research over the summer, and clinical research in health policy w/ the UN/WHO. but in terms of my activities i just did what i loved which was basically 3-4 things, poetry writing for magazines on campus, volunteering, and being an ambassador for the admissions office. i go to an extremely competitive school (ivy) where everyone is running around w/ 4.0s and 35+ mcat's and 10 zillion activities...

sorry for the long message i guess my point is can my research/work experiences be listed w/ my extracurrics b/c if not, i guess that part of my apps will look kinda sparse... do u think they will understand that i had to tone my EC activity down in order to concentrate on bringing up my gpa.. i mean i know its kinda lame, but i really made a huge change in my gpa, so i am thankful for that

ok thank you for any responses to this... i really am glad i found this forum... LOL, i will be receiving my scores for august 2002 mcat in a few weeks (didnt check them online) so i will be back to either share in others joy, or misery, either way!!! >>

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SMW

SMW Grand Member

Welcome To SDN, lalala!! :) All "post-secondary" experiences are listed in one long list on AMCAS. There is a limit of 15 (new this year). You have to choose a category for each one, like paid employment -military or non-military, EC/hobbies/avocations, teaching/tutoring, community service/volunteer -- medical/clinical, research, honors/awards/recognitiions, conferences attended. Whew! I think that's all the categories. You sound like you'll be fine. It's better to do a few things in-depth than a ton of things superficially. Good luck with your applications!! :)

4. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member

Yes, work and research go in with extracurriculars

5. Polar girl

Polar girl Senior Member

damn. beat me to it. But yours was much more informative, so I guess I can accept that. This time. :laugh: