Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Advice Please...

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by medstud07, Jan 4, 2009.

1. medstud07

Pre-Medical
    I am a sophmore at Illinois Wesleyan University. Currently my GPA is 3.04 and improving. At the end of my first semester freshman year my GPA was 2.2 because i was unorganized and family problems. Spring of freshman year i got a 3.5 GPA and at the end of sophmore year first semester i got a 3.3 giving an overall 3.04GPA. I am expecting my GPA to increase to about 3.4 by the end of this semester. I am currently signed up for research in organic chemistry and plan to publish a few papers by the end of this semester. I also plan on taking summer classes to boost my GPA at a community college. A month ago, i took a practice MCAT test IWU offered and got a 29 w/o writing. I am not worried i will do bad on MCAT but i am worried about GPA. What should i do regarding my GPA?

So far, i have not had any clinical volunteering yet but will start this semester at a local hospital (2hrs/week). How should i keep track of my hours and how do medical schools look at volunteering hours? I have done SEVERAL!!! volunteerings in High School, not just with hospitals but with community...can i use that for medical school also?

This summer i am planning on doing research, take summer classes and volunteer atleast 4-5 hrs/ week. What else do i have to do?? I AM VERY VERY VERY WORRIED I DONT HAVE ENOUGH VOLUNTEERING EXPERIENCE.

PLEASE ADVICE....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    You may need to do a 5th yr in ug to bring your gpa up.

High school doesn't count, keep track on an excel sheet, what's your clinical?

4. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    high school will not count.
    since you are only a sophomore, if you start this semester and keep doing it until you apply, then i think oyu will be in good shape :)

for grades, just keep trying to get A's and A-'s as much as possible, and rock the MCAT.

research is also excellent i think and if you do indeed publish, i think that may give you a bit of a boost. but have you thought of maybe (if you have time) doing something you enjoy as well? sports? some sort of club?

5. medstud07

Pre-Medical
    my clinical experience is working with uro surgeon and helping during surgery in tasks such as suction and bringing suture kits.

6. 236116

sounds good but slightly illegal.
    you need shadowing.

7. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    If you want to be a doctor, you can't afford to get anything below an A- from now on. Don't get so involved in extracurriculars that you lose sight of the fact that GPA is one of the primary things admsiions committees will judge you by (with MCAT). You can always add ECs later, but it will take years to fix a poor GPA, if it's even possible. Fortunately, you barely have the time. If you have a 3.0 now, after three more semesters of 4.0 it will be a 3.5. One extra year of 4.0 will get it to 3.6, which is reasonably competitive, if you apply after graduation.

8. orthGOD

Pre-Medical

I was thinking the same thing. Kinda illegal...super illegal. Unless you mysteriously are certified as a surgical assistant there is no way you are remotely close to the field.

9. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Don't forget to acquire a leadership experience too.

10. 236116

Super, really kinda sorta very illegal.

Good thing I'm on a coast.