Advice Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCSurgeon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the mcat and got a 24Q which was way lower than what i had been scoring on practice tests. I have a 3.75 GPA both overall and science. I also have tons of extracurriculars... volunteer EMT-B (over 1000 hours), work in an organic lab, ect... I know I need to take the mcat again, my dilemma is when to submit my amcas tho. I basically have the entire thing done and could hit submit on June 1. Most of the schools I was going to apply to have a 29-30 mcat average. I know that I can say on my amcas that I am retaking the mcat in June (hopefully that soon). I was just wondering if most schools wouldn't look at my app again because my first score was so low? Should i just wait till July 1 to submit my amcas? I am just really frustrated with myself and would love any advice or insight anyone has to offer!

Members don't see this ad.

I recently took the mcat and got a 24Q which was way lower than what i had been scoring on practice tests. I have a 3.75 GPA both overall and science. I also have tons of extracurriculars... volunteer EMT-B (over 1000 hours), work in an organic lab, ect... I know I need to take the mcat again, my dilemma is when to submit my amcas tho. I basically have the entire thing done and could hit submit on June 1. Most of the schools I was going to apply to have a 29-30 mcat average. I know that I can say on my amcas that I am retaking the mcat in June (hopefully that soon). I was just wondering if most schools wouldn't look at my app again because my first score was so low? Should i just wait till July 1 to submit my amcas? I am just really frustrated with myself and would love any advice or insight anyone has to offer!

hey...i would say it depends on how even your scores are. if you're at like 8/8/8 i don't think you'll get screened out. if you have one below like 7, then i'd wait. are you urm?

They are going to see both of your scores regardless. It is to your advantage to submit earlier if you can, but they probably won't take you "seriously" until they see the second score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait. There is no advantage of submitting June 1st over July 1st. They are both plenty early. Seeing a 24 by itself will hurt you, even if they know you're retaking. A 24 and 29 or 30 looks better IMO.

Consider applying June 1, but to only one school. Check the future MCAT button, so that school doesn't judge you based on the first MCAT score.

In early June it takes a few days to have your transcripts verified. By early July, it takes 3-4 weeks to get verified, which would further delay your application.

If the second MCAT is competitive, add more schools. They'll get the entire application within a day. If it isn't, you've saved the extra application fees.

thanks for the advice guys! I am not an urm and my scores were 7/8/9