Advice plz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACF010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to decide which medical school to go to. So far I am only in 1, but i have alot of interviews lined up so I should get into more... (hopefully) How do I know which school to go to? I guess the real question is how important is going into a top-notch residency program? Is this the reason everyone on here wants to go to these top schools?

I dont know if thats really what I want to do. I mean I have gotten interviews at very prestigious schools, but sometimes I think I just want to go learn medicine while enjoying the weather (Florida or something nice)... What is everyone's goal when they want these top residency programs? Maybe goto prestigious school, then get residency in a nice area?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I know that going into a lot of debt can sway a bunch of ppl to going to the cheaper school. I think that if you have the chance to go to a top 20 school you should go at any cost over one that is ranked like number 80 or worse.
Also depends on what you want to go into because schools with great PC programs do not always have the best research funding...

I think it would be a mistake to choose which school to attend based on weather. Although location is important, I would put it well below how good the school is in terms of priority. Think about it kiddo, you will be studying constantly and working in a hospital as a med student. Not laying in the sun and getting your tan on.

I wouldn't think that far ahead right now. Focus on the present. Do not for a second think getting a large number of interviews means you'll get into one of those schools. All it means is that you have a shot. Take it, but do not take it for granted.