Advice Re: ENT Rotation/Field Exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZagDoc

Ears, Noses, and Throats
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's 2 months into my clinical rotations, and I'm starting to develop an avid interest in otolaryngology. I guess it was a field I glossed over in the past as I didn't really understand its role in the medical montage, but the more interaction with ENT I have in the clinical setting the more impressed I have become with numerous aspects of the field in regards to how I'd like to practice in the future.

My pre-clinical grades are good (all NH/H), scored 253/99 on Step 1, but I don't have any research on my cvs at this time. I have the opportunity to do an ENT sub-i in December during an elective block - I will have rotated through surgery at that point but not medicine yet so my clinical acumen would not be up to snuff of a true MS4 sub-i. I could also use that time to get involved in some research and develop connections in the field in a more informal setting.

So I guess my main question is whether it'd be better to use that time to get some research done to bolster my cvs and delay an ENT sub-i until the beginning of 4th year when I'd have more robust clinical skills, or whether it'd be better to start making connections/collecting letters in the field now by rotating through, freeing up more of my 4th year for aways, and find a way to get some academic work done through the rest of my third year? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So it’s 2 months into my clinical rotations, and I’m starting to develop an avid interest in otolaryngology. I guess it was a field I glossed over in the past as I didn’t really understand its role in the medical montage, but the more interaction with ENT I have in the clinical setting the more impressed I have become with numerous aspects of the field in regards to how I'd like to practice in the future.

My pre-clinical grades are good (all NH/H), scored 253/99 on Step 1, but I don't have any research on my cvs at this time. I have the opportunity to do an ENT sub-i in December during an elective block - I will have rotated through surgery at that point but not medicine yet so my clinical acumen would not be up to snuff of a true MS4 sub-i. I could also use that time to get involved in some research and develop connections in the field in a more informal setting.

So I guess my main question is whether it'd be better to use that time to get some research done to bolster my cvs and delay an ENT sub-i until the beginning of 4th year when I'd have more robust clinical skills, or whether it'd be better to start making connections/collecting letters in the field now by rotating through, freeing up more of my 4th year for aways, and find a way to get some academic work done through the rest of my third year? Any thoughts?

Research is the way to go if you have elective time during your third year.

Most ENT departments expect students interested in ENT to do a Sub-I during July/Aug/Sept of their 4th year. Spend the next 10 to 12 months doing things to get further acquainted with ENT before you do that rotation.

It can take a lot of time to get things published, so I would start as soon as possible. A publication stands out more than research "experience" on your resume. Also, working on an ENT research project would get you acquainted with ENT faculty and maybe some residents.

Good luck.