advice/reassurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitteykat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just registered to this forum before I found out my April '04 score because I needed to work up some courage. :) It took awhile but I finally did it...I got a 29O: 10PS, 8VR, 11BS. I'm not quite sure what to do...on one hand, I really wish I had gotten a 30+, but according to some of the posts I've read, 29 is ok. On the other hand, I'm scared that if I take it again, I'll do worse :eek:! I'm actually not going to apply this year because I have already decided way before that I'm not ready yet - seeing how I have a year now before I apply, should I study for the April '05 MCAT when it comes around, or should I just concentrate on my senior year, work on my ECs, LoRs, and GPA?

Thanks a lot! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

if your gpa is ok, then there is no reason why you shouldnt apply.

I agree, a 29 is just fine if your GPA is decent (3.5+). I wouldn't retake; the lowest component of your score, verbal, is also probably the most difficult to improve (it has a tough curve). If you work really hard on the verbal, it might be at the expense of the sciences, which is not good. So, yeah, I'd stick with the 29. :)

On the other hand, look at the schools you want to apply to... some of them actually take the best score from each section from all the different MCAT scores - so if you up your verbal but decrease your science, they'll take the best verbal and the best science scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be happy with that 8! You could have a 7V 12 12 like me, and I hate how 7 is so much better worse than an 8. It may have only been a 1 question difference.

Anyway, you are fine...I know some schools like Wisconsin look for a 30 on their "point" system. You always hear stories of how people did better, but who is going to come out and say...I did worse! I think you should apply