Advice Regarding new Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jessepinkman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody, Im sorta of in a bind here; I know that the Mcat is scheduled to change in 2015 and add on biochem... I would like to take the 2014 Mcat but unfortunately im nowhere close to finishing my pre-reqs i still have both orgos and physics and gen chem2 to finish. My question is thus; is it feasible to learn these subjects on my own and attempt to take the current Mcat in Jan 2014, or should i just wait, learn the subjects at a normal pace and take new mcat? Any advice, suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait to take it when you have completed your prerequitises. I will have mine done in time to take the old version in the fall of 2014, but I have chosen to take it later for maturity reasons and to accommodate a gap year. You definitely couldn't learn that many subjects on your own in time to be prepared. Take your time and you can tackle the new one with the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you mean January 2015? ( if I'm not mistaken, the jan 2015 MCAT is still the old version). Either way, I agree that you should take the time to learn the material in your courses. I don't think anyone would advise you to try to teach yourself a whole year of O.Chem, Physics and part of Gen Chem.

Hi I have a small question about the 2015 MCAT, but I don't think an entire new thread is needed. I accidentally used AP credit for introductory psychology. I won't be able to take this class at my college again. Should I take a class called Biopsychology (psych class) instead to suffice the new requirement? I plan on studying intro psych for the new MCAT though when the time comes. Thanks!

Hi I have a small question about the 2015 MCAT, but I don't think an entire new thread is needed. I accidentally used AP credit for introductory psychology. I won't be able to take this class at my college again. Should I take a class called Biopsychology (psych class) instead to suffice the new requirement? I plan on studying intro psych for the new MCAT though when the time comes. Thanks!
There are no "requirements" to take the MCAT. The biopsych class will most likely be unhelpful in preparing because it surpasses intro psych, but since you have taken AP Psych, you will have all the background info you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't think it was worth making a new thread but what about me, guys? I'm finishing physics 2 and last upper division cell bio class this semester. I'm working as an EMT and doing research. Should I wait and study for the new MCAT or should I just try and study for the old one? I want to take a MCAT course.

Didn't think it was worth making a new thread but what about me, guys? I'm finishing physics 2 and last upper division cell bio class this semester. I'm working as an EMT and doing research. Should I wait and study for the new MCAT or should I just try and study for the old one? I want to take a MCAT course.

If you've already taken the courses required (1 year general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics) then I don't see a reason why not. A lot of it is personal preference when deciding how you want to study; some prefer to study in the summer with more time to focus on the MCAT while others feel more efficient studying with a tighter schedule during the school year. Even though you are still finishing your physics requirement I think there is still plenty of time to study and take the present MCAT (final administration January 2015) without rushing unreasonably.

However, and this statement applies to everyone who has yet begun to prepare for the MCAT, I think taking the new exam may seem more daunting than it actually is. For students who have already studied and prepared for the exam in its current format, the change could pose a greater challenge than for those who have no history with preparation for the current exam- if that makes any sense at all. In other words, I don't think that freshman and sophomores (or anyone who has yet to begin or complete most of the pre reqs) should completely rush preparation to avoid the new exam. <--- This is only my opinion

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.