advice: retake organic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

IdoDrugs

Hello. I need some advice. I did my fresh+sophmore years at a community college. Now I am at a state university. I took organic chemistry at the CC...quarter system...got grades of B and B-, then the last quarter I got a C+:( . I like the class, but it's ALOT of work. It was a 200 level class there but is a 300 level class at my new school. I transfered in as a general biology major...but changed to biochem/cell molec because i though the general biol program was boring. Hence, I will graduate as a fith year (with a minor also)...then I will apply to medical schools.

I already know that CC classes already carry a bad stigma. However, after comparing science exams from my new and old schools...I really see no difference. Since I had time, I thought I would retake the entire organic series here at a more reputable school...i need a certain number of 300 level credits anyways. I finished two quarters with grades of B+ and B. Important reactions such as SN1, SN2, E1, E2 have been covered.

Should I continue to the third quarter or take a different upper level science course (ie options include cell biology)?????

I like the course but am starting to want a break from it. I'll be taking a year of biochem here also.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I need some advice. I did my fresh+sophmore years at a community college. Now I am at a state university. I took organic chemistry at the CC...quarter system...got grades of B and B-, then the last quarter I got a C+:( . I like the class, but it's ALOT of work. It was a 200 level class there but is a 300 level class at my new school. I transfered in as a general biology major...but changed to biochem/cell molec because i though the general biol program was boring. Hence, I will graduate as a fith year (with a minor also)...then I will apply to medical schools.

I already know that CC classes already carry a bad stigma. However, after comparing science exams from my new and old schools...I really see no difference. Since I had time, I thought I would retake the entire organic series here at a more reputable school...i need a certain number of 300 level credits anyways. I finished two quarters with grades of B+ and B. Important reactions such as SN1, SN2, E1, E2 have been covered.

Should I continue to the third quarter or take a different upper level science course (ie options include cell biology)?????

I like the course but am starting to want a break from it. I'll be taking a year of biochem here also.

I don't know much about the quarter system so I can't really relate to your situation all that well. I can say that the "stigma" of the CC is a bit overplayed on SDN. Sure it would raise some eyebrows if you took all your prereqs at a CC, but taking three or six credits at one doesn't matter much. The reason it's typically harder coming from a CC is they generally don't have the same kind of premed structure going on as a large university, i.e. advising, research and volunteer opportunities, myriad clubs and organizations to make your EC section shine, etc.