Advice/School List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moo2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick recap for me:

Top tier college graduated may 2012 with BS in Neuroscience
GPA c3.33 s3.4ish (no grade inflation :(.....)
mcat 29R P9 V10 B10 in 2011

applied for Fall 2012, got one interview at UVM, didnt find out until august that i didnt get in (I think i must have been on an alternate list or something)

i have been working as a research assistant in an HIV lab.

I have been studying to try to improve my MCAT a couple of points. THe first time i studied i was averaging 33 with a range of 30-36. But got a 29. This time im having trouble getting my practice scores up! I did Princeton review the first time and this time im using that on the side and taking the examkrackers class. I have found it is difficult to manage studying and working FT. Would a re-take with a lower score hurt my application?

I was a resident of NJ when I applied. Live in DC now, but haven't changed my license. Does that mean I am still a NJ resident according to the AMCAS/Med Schools?

I assume I should reapply to UVM, and perhaps my in-state schools... Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

What do you think my chances are? Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With those numbers, I'm surprised you actually got the interview. Do not reapply unless you've shown evidence of significant improvement between the interview and the next application cycle.

Your GPA is well below avg for MD schools, and ditto the MCAT. Most MD programs like at least the "triple double (10/10/10).

You might have best luck with your state school (I'd go with NJ) and the lowest of the low tiers, like NYMC and Rosy Franklin.

You're fine for any DO program, including mine.

Quick recap for me:

applied for Fall 2012, got one interview at UVM, didnt find out until august that i didnt get in (I think i must have been on an alternate list or something)

I have been studying to try to improve my MCAT a couple of points. THe first time i studied i was averaging 33 with a range of 30-36. But got a 29. This time im having trouble getting my practice scores up! I did Princeton review the first time and this time im using that on the side and taking the examkrackers class. I have found it is difficult to manage studying and working FT. Would a re-take with a lower score hurt my application?

I was a resident of NJ when I applied. Live in DC now, but haven't changed my license. Does that mean I am still a NJ resident according to the AMCAS/Med Schools?

I assume I should reapply to UVM, and perhaps my in-state schools... Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

What do you think my chances are? Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Quick recap for me:

I have been studying to try to improve my MCAT a couple of points. THe first time i studied i was averaging 33 with a range of 30-36. But got a 29. This time im having trouble getting my practice scores up! I did Princeton review the first time and this time im using that on the side and taking the examkrackers class. I have found it is difficult to manage studying and working FT.

1) Would a re-take with a lower score hurt my application?

2) I was a resident of NJ when I applied. Live in DC now, but haven't changed my license. Does that mean I am still a NJ resident according to the AMCAS/Med Schools?

3) I assume I should reapply to UVM, and perhaps my in-state schools... Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

4) What do you think my chances are? Let me know what you think!

Thanks!
1) Yes.
2) If you have been a full time student over this last year, you are still a NJ resident, assuming your parents still reside there.

If you have been working for a year full time without going to school, you are a DC resident, as would be proven by your utility bills, rent agreement, and income tax return (which schools use as proof of residency, along with voters card and drivers license and registration).

3) With your current stats, you are a good DO med school candidate.

4) Without an improved cGPA and/or much higher MCAT score, your chances at MD are about 29% (which includes those with unique circumstances and those from special populations).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the honest advice guys. I understand that an MCAT improvement will help my chances...

What I have heard is that GPA is valued differently depending on the quality of the undergraduate institution. (To use two random schools as an example, a 3.4 at Princeton is more difficult to achieve than a 3.4 at Arizona State) Does this ring true to some extent or is this usually just stuff people tell themselves to not freak out?

Not really. Many of the Ivies have significant grade inflation anyway. But on the other hand, I'd rather have a 3.4 from U of Utah, than a 3.4 from Weber State.

What I have heard is that GPA is valued differently depending on the quality of the undergraduate institution. (To use two random schools as an example, a 3.4 at Princeton is more difficult to achieve than a 3.4 at Arizona State) Does this ring true to some extent ?[/QUOTE]

Haha I have no Idea what master of orion is....

Thanks for the honest advice guys. I understand that an MCAT improvement will help my chances...

What I have heard is that GPA is valued differently depending on the quality of the undergraduate institution. (To use two random schools as an example, a 3.4 at Princeton is more difficult to achieve than a 3.4 at Arizona State) Does this ring true to some extent or is this usually just stuff people tell themselves to not freak out?

This is argued a lot on SDN. Sure, a 3.4 from Princeton might be viewed more favorably than a 3.4 from Podunk University, but I think a 3.8 from Podunk looks much better than a 3.4 from Princeton. :shrug: So don't bank on the name of your undergrad.