1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

advice - start M.S. or retake courses

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nontradfutdoc, Jan 18, 2002.

1. nontradfutdoc

nontradfutdoc New Member

I'm seeking advice. Should I retake some undergraduate science courses, or begin a Master's program to strengthen my application? My problem is that the courses that are closely looked at (General Bio, Gen Chem, Organic and Physics) probably work out to a 2.9/3.0 GPA. My overall undergrad GPA with a bio major is 3.54, and I have since completed an MBA with a 3.9. I have good extracurriculars, good work experience in the pharmaceutical industry (I'm 28 yrs old), and hoping for a 30 on the MCAT. Any thoughts would be welcome.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BME All-Star

BME All-Star Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think you need a Master's in Bio, just retake your undergrad courses. Your MBA and performance already show you can handle an advanced degree environment.

peace

4. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think that you should retake any courses. I assume you did well in the upper level bio courses since your gpa is 3.54. It is better to show success in advanced level science courses than to retake courses unless you recieved grades that were less than a C. Some med schools require a minimum grade of C in the basic sciences. If you did well in the upper level courses then go ahead and do a master's and take even more advanced level science courses. Of course, perform well on the mcat.

5. BME All-Star

BME All-Star Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm gonna have to disagree with the above post. You should definitely consider the time and money involved in obtaining a Master's degree. Depending on whether it is a non-thesis or thesis degree, it could take 3-4 semesters to fufill. It simpler and more practical in my opinion to enroll in a GS program and retake the basic science courses, especially if you haven't taken the MCAT yet, as they will help refresh your knowledge. The MCAT doesn't test on advanced bio courses. Just my two cents.

peace

6. nontradfutdoc

nontradfutdoc New Member

Thanks to the responses. I was also thinking of taking my chances with the test by studying on my own and taking a review class, i.e. Kaplan, and seeing how I do. I could sure use a solid organic and physics review. Do you think I could get that through an MCAT prep course?