Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

?Advice/Suggestion?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by badge65, Apr 24, 2000.

1. badge65

badge65 New Member

I am a 34 y/o female, registered nurse (BSN, 1994) who currently works in a cardiac care unit and am sitting for the MCAT in August. I have 3 years of med/surg, ER experience and am pursuing the DO idea I had many years ago but waited! Currently I am in a grad nurse pracitioner program and completed pharm and patho but am dragging my feet at the "fluff" classes, theory. I have a some research experince, but not published. I am short one semester of Organic Chem and Physic but have had Biochem and selected for the human body dissection team my juco. My science GPA is 3.46 and overall 3.66. I dearly love the science and find a challenge quite stimulating. As for hobbies, I am a private pilot and spend many hours on my pc. Any suggestions for studying for the MCAT or any advice would be appreciated! Do you think I may have a chance or being interviewed with my qualifications?

Badge65

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. badge65

badge65 New Member

Please note the correction of BSN in MAy 1999, not 1994!
    Thanks!

Badge65

4. mj

mj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

badge65
    If you didn't know you can edit your own message and change what you wrote. If you look on the bar above the words of your post there is a little icon with a pencil. Hit that and you can change it without having to post again. Not that anyone cares if you post a million times, and if you already knew this sorry, but I was very happy when I found the edit key. It's the little things in life that bring us pleasure [​IMG]

mj

5. vmac

vmac Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Badge,

Your chances are excellent. Solid science gpa, overall gpa, and a ton of medical experience. I would say, pending your mcat score, that you should get multiple interviews and acceptances. Study hard for the mcat. You might consider a prep course, such as the Princeton Review or Kaplan. I took the Princeton Review and it really helped. Good Luck.

Vmac

6. ryanpj

ryanpj Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

You are in great shape [​IMG] You sound like a well rounded person. Look into Princeton or Kaplan. I like both. I have my Kaplan materials for sale on this web site if you will look.

7. Besyonek

Besyonek Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Badge65,

I think your credentials look good. The only problem I can see is that you will likely be asked why you want to study medicine if you're currently in an NP program. Some schools may be hesitant about this.

Otherwise, I would add that, if you're planning on applying this summer, you'll be at a slight disadvantage taking the August MCAT. If, however, you'll be applying in 2001, you're fine. Either way, get your AACOMAS/AMCAS application in as early as possible.

Good luck.