Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Advice/this ever happened?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by xraygray, Nov 21, 2005.

1. xraygray

xraygray Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I played soccer in college and my senior year I had to quit playing due to a a neck injury (c-7 vertebrate slightly protruding into my spinal cord and mild degenerative disc disease). I wrote about this in my personal statement. I just got this email from USUHS today:

At this stage in the review process, the Admissions Committee has found your package fairly competitive and is interested in getting better acquainted with you. This is usually accomplished by inviting you to interview. However, in your application you listed a medical condition that will probably be disqualified by the Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB). At USU, we recognize the high costs associated with attending medical school interviews andwanted to make you fully aware of the possibilities of disqualification so that
    you can make an informed decision regarding your application. We are able to request a waiver from the Pentagon for those who are recommended for acceptance and would do thus in your case should you choose to continue with the application process. If you are interested in coming to the University for interview (dates and times will be conisidered at a later date), you should respond to my message as soon as possible. Please remember that everyone must meet commissioning standards and there are no guarantees that any waivers will be granted.

What do you guys think? Anyone had any experience similar to this? Also, I've been considering applying for military scholarship, do they have the same standards regarding phyiscal health?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Rendar5

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know much about military scholarships. I'm pretty sure attending one of the military schools requires you to become an officer, so that might be wherethis is coming into play. well, just gotta wait for someone like Moosepilot to respond for a much better answer than mine :p

4. masterMood

masterMood Membership Revoked
    Removed

Post Doc
    i don't like how they said in the first line "[they] have found your package FAIRLY competitive"

are they saying your stupi?

5. patch28

patch28 Aerial Doc
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It's oddly subjective. I have Tourettes Syndrome. I was a commercial pilot in the running for one of the Navy's highly competitive guaranteed pilot slot scholarship/stipend programs when spet 11th happened, and the defense department and DOT went searching through all thier pilot's info. They discovered the TS and disqualified me from any branch of the military in any capacity, and the FAA tried to revoke my commercial pilot's license. I had to fight that pretty hard, but in the end I got to keep the license. Any chances at the Navy Aviation were nixed, however. Now that I'm applying to medical school, all of the sudden my Tourettes doesn't seem to be a problem at all, and the branches have been rather agressive trying to get my interest back. I honestly don't think you'll have much trouble. They really need their docs.

6. xraygray

xraygray Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

thanks for the feedback. apparently, they will not disqualify me based on my physical health and if i reply saying that i want to still be considered then they will interview me and make a decision based solely on my credentials. it will then be up to the Department of defense medical examination whether or not i will get a military commission. if i do not get the commission then i can not matriculate to usuhs unless i get a waiver which is possible but not probable. i already have one other acceptance, waiting from one school, and have an interview at another. part of me wants to go for the interview at usuhs just to see if i like the school and if i would fit in with the military lifestyle. the other part of me is telling me not to waste the time or money because even if i get accepted i may not be able to attend.

What do you guys think? What would you do in my situation?

7. Em1

Em1 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you take the physical now and get a preliminary answer on whether your condition is acceptable?

8. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

The DoDMERB Physical stuff is kinda lengthy, and you only get scheduling information sent out to you if you are invited for an interview. The DoD takes their sweet time as well...my physical and eye appointment were complete last week, but that's only "complete" -- the time it takes for them to process and approve is unknown :eek: .

To the OP, good luck on whatever you choose...if you have an acceptance racked up that's pretty nice to fall back on. Call their office and talk to them a bit more about this waiver I guess?

9. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Trust me, you're better off not being a military medical officer.

10. Really, why? What is it like?

11. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This reminds me of when my brother was a kid and his pediatrician said he had (has) TS. My mother made the amusing comment that at least he wouldn't be drafted if it ever came to that. lol I'm not sure that's true, but I thought it was cool at the time.

12. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I highly recommend you check out the military medicine section of SDN for further details. Suffice to say that in the time I served I only met one physician who was happy to be in the service but of course he wasn't the sharpest tool either.....

Here's a thread that has gone on for 9 pages regarding this very topic: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=203316