dentix

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I spend hours upon hours sitting at a desk studying, and I have began to develop a "stiff back." I exercise 3 times a week for 1 hour and stretch at the beginning and end of my work outs. However, it is difficult to do a stretch that will adequately release tension in my back. I have a decent diet and replenish my electrolytes regularly.

I have also considered looking into deep tissue messages, but it gets expensive. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any advice?

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status
Dental Student
I spend hours upon hours sitting at a desk studying, and I have began to develop a "stiff back." I exercise 3 times a week for 1 hour and stretch at the beginning and end of my work outs. However, it is difficult to do a stretch that will adequately release tension in my back. I have a decent diet and replenish my electrolytes regularly.

I have also considered looking into deep tissue messages, but it gets expensive. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any advice?
Try cracking your back or have someone else do it for you. Does wonders.

minuteman06

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
agree with cracking back. find a chair with a short back and lean back real far on it, always works for me. also exercise works, and i find heavy lifting gets rid of alot of back "tension"

About the Ads

USUaggie

bringing ugly back
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
out fighting foo
Status
I was amazed at how much my back pain was relieved when I started swimming a few times per week. I think the exercise + stretching + post-swim hot tub soak was what helped.

dentix

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I was amazed at how much my back pain was relieved when I started swimming a few times per week. I think the exercise + stretching + post-swim hot tub soak was what helped.
Nice, I have access to a swimming pool and a jacuz, so ill try that this week. Thanks man.

dent2009

YEEE BOI
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental

I had this issue as well. Massage is the best short term remedy, but you're right, it's expensive. By the way, you exercise but do you work out your back? Also your body posture is important. Take frequent breaks and stretch out your back.

carbide

i'm hungry
10+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
let the grades slip not worth the sore back! haha i agree with the swimming and hot tub that is a great plan.

dentix

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I had this issue as well. Massage is the best short term remedy, but you're right, it's expensive. By the way, you exercise but do you work out your back? Also your body posture is important. Take frequent breaks and stretch out your back.
dent2009,

I actually do not exercise my back, because I have always feared that I would damage it if I exercised it improperly. I think I am going to hire a certified trainer for an hour to learn back exercises.

dentix

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Yea I catch myself doing that sometimes. I'll need to work on my posture a little more.

Oh by the way, great link!! That copyholder will force me to keep upright posture, it just makes sense. I am adding it to my x-mas wish list. Thanks:thumbup:

rockets1

10+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2008
Status
Dental Student
what kind of chair are you sitting in? Hopefully its one with some cushion and support. Take a stretch break every 30-45 min. so your back doesn't tighten up. Someone brought up a good point about swimming...thats always great for your back.

dentix

10+ Year Member
Dec 16, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
what kind of chair are you sitting in? Hopefully its one with some cushion and support. Take a stretch break every 30-45 min. so your back doesn't tighten up. Someone brought up a good point about swimming...thats always great for your back.
I sit in a chair that has a pretty good cushion, but the cushion is beginning to flatten. I plan on buying a new chair next week. As far as taking breaks, I stand up and walk around for appox. two minutes to re-establish adequate blood flow to the rest of my body.

DrReo

"Thread Necromancer"
10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2007
Status
Academic Administration

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status
Dental Student
Buy one of the ergonomic chairs, they are specifiacally meant to improve back health and posture.

About the Ads