ADVICE To those who need to reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gauchoand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
By the time we all figure out that we aren't getting accepted to a program often it leaves us not much time to do anything about it. We apply during the summer we wait til December or later to hear back from schools which leaves us less than one semester to do something about it. So how do we do something about that lets post up our ideas on improving apps for the second time around...

My story of how I improved my app...
I wasn't naive the first time I went into applying. I'm honest, I wasn't that great of a candidate and Only got one interview. Overview GPA 3.3 sGPA 3.2 AA 18 TS 18 PAT 24. 150 hours shadowing 850 hours service. Worked as veterinary tech previous 4 years....

Heres how I improved for the second time: I continued working through the fall and spring semesters. I took 14 hours of science classes 4 hours non-science pulled a GPA of 4.23 fall semester Spring I pulled a repeat with 18 hours science creds and a GPA of 3.8 (dang endocrinology). I got into a research program with one of my professors and did 150 hours. I found a newspaper editor for a major newspaper to help me with my PS. I think it was pretty dang good too. Continued to study and retook dat. AA20 TS20 PAT25. Graduated Cum Laude from ASU. This year 5 interviews across the country. 2 acceptances 2 waitlists and as of now 1 I don't know. Got into an awesome school one I'm really stoked to attend...

So really my advice is to be honest with yourselves if your not that great recognize that beforehand and it will give you more time to do something which worked out great for me.

Newest update is 3 acceptances and 2 waitlist spots I turned down at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's always good to hear success stories.

In regards to your DAT score, do you mind sharing how your preparation changed from Test 1 and Test 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
By the time we all figure out that we aren't getting accepted to a program often it leaves us not much time to do anything about it. We apply during the summer we wait til December or later to hear back from schools which leaves us less than one semester to do something about it. So how do we do something about that lets post up our ideas on improving apps for the second time around...

My story of how I improved my app...
I wasn't naive the first time I went into applying. I'm honest I wasn't that great of a candidate and Only got one interview. Overview GPA 3.3 sGPA 3.2 AA 18 TS 18 PAT 24. 150 hours shadowing 850 hours service. Worked as veterinary tech previous 4 years.... I continued working through the fall and spring semesters. I took 14 hours of science classes 4 hours non pulled a GPA of 4.23 fall semester Spring I pulled a repeat with 18 hours science creds and a GPA of 3.8 (dang endocrinology). I got into a research program with one of my professors and did 150 hours. I found a newspaper editor for a major newspaper to help me with my PS. I think it was pretty dang good too. Continued to study and retook dat. AA20 TS20 PAT25. Graduated Cum Laude from ASU. This year 5 interviews across the country. 2 acceptances 2 waitlists and as of now 1 I don't know. Got into an awesome school one I'm really stoked to attend...

So really my advice is to be honest with yourselves if your not that great recognize that beforehand and it will give you more time to do something which worked out great for me.

Congrats!

To other reapplying... I personally think a lot people can improve their application doing 1 simple thing.

APPLY EARLY. The first week applications are up you need to have it in. It's already known what is in them, so prepare it all beforehand. You can submit your LoR after you submit your application, so get the sucker in quick.
If you feel like you have average stats, applying early is probably the most crucial thing you can do. Get your app in early. Pre-prepare your secondary essays and get those in quick as well. good luck everyone

Congrats!

To other reapplying... I personally think a lot people can improve their application doing 1 simple thing.

APPLY EARLY. The first week applications are up you need to have it in. It's already known what is in them, so prepare it all beforehand. You can submit your LoR after you submit your application, so get the sucker in quick.
If you feel like you have average stats, applying early is probably the most crucial thing you can do. Get your app in early. Pre-prepare your secondary essays and get those in quick as well. good luck everyone

Dont mean to hijack, but how do we know what the Q on secondary asks beforehand? when do they send out secondaries for early applicant?

what classes did you take?(also at ASU)

Two things changed between tests.
1.I didn't take it in the middle of the semester. So i had a lot more time to study.
And 2. I had another year of science classes under my belt.
I studied Destroyer and purchased a lot of Science _____ for dummies. These offer great reviews of basic science courses and refreshed my memory a lot. Otherwise I took weekly practice tests like the real thing. I'd sit down and do the whole test this helped my "Stamina" as with the first test I was finding it hard to focus by the end. I blew off studying PAT cause I didn't need it. I found a strategy for RC that would work for me and practiced it a lot.

As far as applying early I don't know about that one I hear it a lot. First year I submitted aadsas June 2nd. Second year I applied in September after I took my DAT the second time. As long as your app is decent anytime before or around September is Good.