Advice toward becoming a Physician Assistant in Cardiology or Cardiothoracic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I honestly was only recently aware of the physician assistant career title after being a patient in the orthopedics department. I've known I want something in medicine but medical school didn't seem like the correct path for me..nor did nursing. Anatomy and Physio is my favorite subject - I'm very interested in the material. When taking the class, I sat at the front asking questions and before lab tests actually had a couple people coming to me for last minute questions which felt great. I knew medicine was the right direction for me but wasn't too intrigued by the options.

But after hearing a bit about PA, my interest is growing. It pays very well, the 3 PAs I came across were happier and more lively than most/all doctors I've come across, and I would not be in school for nearly as long. I'm 26 and struggling financially... :/

I've completed all of the (unnecessary) liberal arts classes but have to complete O. Chem, Physics, Calculus and Form&Function in the Biological World before I can transfer to a 4 yr from my community college. I'm usually part time but actually had this last school year off and just worked.

Is there a particular degree best suited for this direction in the field? Kinesiology? Biology? Biochemistry (might be too difficult and would likely have a low GPA)? Do I have to worry about the possibility of not being accepted into a program? Do you find the field over saturated and might it be difficult to find positions in Cardiology or Cardiothoracic surgery? I'm in the bay area of California. Though I wouldn't mind going to a school elsewhere (if living expenses aren't impossible), I would like to be able to come back to work in the bay area. Answers to these questions and any other information would be so helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're set on PA, there is a subforum for midlevel providers and you'll probably get better advice there. As far as general questions go, basically any of those majors would be beneficial. Kinesiology is nice because you get practical application of a lot of things, especially if you like A&P. Biology would be a good option as well. The main thing I would recommend is to research schools you're interested in and make sure you take and do well in their pre-reqs. There is definitely the possibility of not getting into a program, because PA school can be very competitive. There is only one PA program in my home state, so it was extremely difficult to get into. I don't know much about the PA job market, but I would imagine cardiology and any surgical specialty would be difficult to break into. If not difficult, at least fairly saturated. It sounds like you have a good plan though.

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, I didn't see the PA forum. Is there a way to have this thread moved there?