ADVICE--U.Miami ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biffer

The good times doc
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm considering a move from wonderful philadelphia to Miami in the next months--this move is contingent on my 'waitlist' status at two med schools in the northeast. I'm assuming its pretty doubtful that I'll be plucked from either waitlist and thus have come up with a neato plan B to keep me sane.
I've lived in philly for about 5 years now and am looking for a drastic change--why i happened on miami? why not? Beach, sun, conveniences of a city, etc... The plan is to move down mid-summer, find job, apply to U.Miami med school for class of 2010 (I would apply this cycle but am not sure how they view out-of stater w. intent to live in florida for 12 mo's prior to enrollment) Anyhow--I'm looking for advice on Miami as I've never been there but have only heard great things. any advice about the city and med school are greatly appreciated--

thanks in advance,
biff

Members don't see this ad.

That's kind of a big question. You're going to be moving down there during the dog days, when it's 95 degrees and 100% humidity every day...that is, if it's not pouring rain, and thundering and what-not. But I wouldn't let that get you down, cause the rest of the year the weather is pretty sweet.

I would do a search for UM and housing on here, and see where the students live, cause you can probably bet they know where the good, cheap places are. I'm pretty sure a lot of them said they live on Brickell Ave., if you want to look into that.

Miami's a fun place, it's got something for everyone.

I don't know what other advice I can share, really, except to say that I hope you have a car, because South Florida is a giant sprawl, and the public transportation is awful.

As for the med school, I was pleasantly surprised when I visited. You can count on great clinical experiences/instruction at Jackson.

As for your plan? Sounds pretty risky. To move to a city basically expecting to get into their med school a couple years later. If you want to live in Miami for a couple years, fine. But I wouldn't count on getting accepted at UM. I hope there's a plan C, if plan B fails.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are moving to enjoy florida and gain residency, i dont think i would pick miami...its the priciest and most congested of the three cities...try tampa - you can live cheaply, establish residency and still apply to Miami med

You should definitely look for apartments in the Sunset Drive area. They're cheaper than South Beach and are much more centrally located.

I think you'll enjoy Miami, but keep in mind it's very different from any other city.