• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!
Nov 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I just read the prereq requirements for UNC and I am shocked at how strict it is (compared to other schools):

"Humanities: Three courses are required. Humanities coursework in the following categories are acceptable: English, Philosophy, Ethnic and Gender Studies or foreign language study."

I have 1 English course at college, 1 Spanish course, but I don't have a 3rd and now I don't know if I can apply next year (I graduated this year so I won't be taking more classes because I have to work)

I do have 2 history courses (writing intensive) and an AP credit for English but they also say they don't accept any AP/IB/Online courses and don't list history as an option under Humanities coursework. Does anyone else have experience with this? I don't understand why the history/writing intensive courses do not count and why they have a strict requirement for 3 courses in just 4 departments (Eng, Phil, Ethnic/gender, foreign language)

Damson

2+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2017
On The Move
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Another UNC applicant may comment.

My opinion is that you should just direct your query to UNC admissions staff. Obtain confirmation from more than one admissions staff before proceeding with application / not proceeding.

Nov 11, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Another UNC applicant may comment.

My opinion is that you should just direct your query to UNC admissions staff. Obtain confirmation from more than one admissions staff before proceeding with application / not proceeding.

Thanks for the reply - just sent them an email! I was also hoping to get feedback from other UNC applicants/students because it seems like a strict rule that I can't imagine every applicant fulfilling. I personally went to a liberal arts college and took many non-stem courses and I still didn't fill their specific humanities requirement, haha!

14_karat

5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
  2. Non-Student
Humanities typically includes history courses. I'm pretty sure they were just giving examples of what can count as "humanities" there.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.