Advice: University of Minnesota (twin cities) vs Ohio State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheStudentDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate people's input on my situation... I have been accepted to both University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) as well as Ohio State University for MD. If you guys were in my shoes, and suppose financial issues are not in consideration, which school would you pick (and why??)? Thanks guys!:)

Members don't see this ad.

I would choose Ohio State. Much better football team. It is really a quality of life issue.

Since I hate going to class I'd probably go with OSU for the self-study track. I never go to class anyway, but it would be nice to have the school's support in my non-class going (read: not having to worry about the occasional extra crap presented verbally in lecture).

If they no longer have that, then ignore me and I feel old. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I attend the U of M as a undergrad and I talked to a medical school student who said he never went to class and just watch the lectures online. I'm guessing that's somewhat similar to what OSU does but maybe its completely different.

Most schools, including mine, have audio/video recordings of lecture (they're just boring and low yield vs. notes to listen to). OSU at least at one point, had a whole different curriculum for non-class-goers. It's been too long for me to recall the details of how it worked though.

Thanks guys! In terms or reputation, do people think Ohio State has an advantage, or does U f Minnesota? During the interview, Ohio seems to stress that they are quickly moving up the rankings, while I didn't get that kind of driven sense from Minnesota....I am not sure if rankings will even matter much for residencies, but I'm just thinking ahead...thanks again for the responses, great help!!:)

don't know anything about u of m, but one thing that i really liked about osu was how little lecture they have each day (~3 hours) and it's all recorded so you don't have to attend lecture. they also go over normal+disease together, which i think is pretty cool.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I would really appreciate people's input on my situation... I have been accepted to both University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) as well as Ohio State University for MD. If you guys were in my shoes, and suppose financial issues are not in consideration, which school would you pick (and why??)? Thanks guys!:)

I'm not sure about these two schools because it really depends on what YOU want in a school. Plus, I was never really interested in either.

One thing I do know, however, is that you will never fit in unless you start calling it THE Ohio State University.

Stay in the cities, its a good school in a great location. While I really like the school I am at, I miss the area greatly-its hard to downsize.

i'd say u of m too. minneapolis is one of the coolest and smartest cities in the country and both of those schools are well enough established that you can get out of them what you put in.

You can't go wrong going to any big 10 university. i would probably go to Minn (U of M is michigan guys :) ) but really you should make the decision based on which location you liked better, and even that really isn't that varied in this case since both are pretty large cities, (though obviously the twin cities is larger).