Advice very much needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ICUunocmeGIRL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for some time now and, finally, I would like someone's perspective on my situation.

I'm 25, been out of school for quite some time. I've been studying for the MCAT on and off for the last year, but have hit it hard this summer. I'm planning to take the Sept. 7th test, but I can't seem to score above a 27. (Actually, my scores have gone down a bit recently.) I'm having a bit of trouble with physics as well as pacing myself. I've taken all the TPR exams (scores not so great) with one AAMC left to do. I have this intense pressure from family and friends to take it. I, too, am pretty tired of studying and just need a break. I have friends in medicine who agree that I should just get it over with despite my scores. What do you guys think? Should I take it and see how I do? I'm very concerned/disheartened by it all.

Also, I want to take more practice tests because I think that's what will help now, but can't seem to find any last minute.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading the forum for some time now and, finally, I would like someone's perspective on my situation.

I'm 25, been out of school for quite some time. I've been studying for the MCAT on and off for the last year, but have hit it hard this summer. I'm planning to take the Sept. 7th test, but I can't seem to score above a 27. (Actually, my scores have gone down a bit recently.) I'm having a bit of trouble with physics as well as pacing myself. I've taken all the TPR exams (scores not so great) with one AAMC left to do. I have this intense pressure from family and friends to take it. I, too, am pretty tired of studying and just need a break. I have friends in medicine who agree that I should just get it over with despite my scores. What do you guys think? Should I take it and see how I do? I'm very concerned/disheartened by it all.

Also, I want to take more practice tests because I think that's what will help now, but can't seem to find any last minute.

Hi! I was in a similar situation with being out of school for a while and taking the MCAT. Are you planning on applying this cycle? Unless you want to go to a DO school or have really good EC's and WE I wouldn't take the MCAT yet. You sound like you are on the brink of a burnout. Take it in January if you are applying next year.

Hi! I was in a similar situation with being out of school for a while and taking the MCAT. Are you planning on applying this cycle? Unless you want to go to a DO school or have really good EC's and WE I wouldn't take the MCAT yet. You sound like you are on the brink of a burnout. Take it in January if you are applying next year.

I agree, if you're not applying until next cycle, wait a while. Shoot, you could even take an MCAT course if you wanted! But, unless you want to go DO or Carib, I would seriously consider putting it off a few months. Take a break, get away from the MCAT for a while and hit it hard again a month or two before your test next spring. Good luck with applying!

I would agree and say that I'm burning out. But January seems so far away and I don't know how much longer I can study for just one test. My advisor is thinking that I'm not serious about applying because I keep doing this... I study for the MCAT, don't score well and delay the test.

Maybe I should look into the Carribean? As for EC's/application stuff, my GPA is fairly low (3.3) from the U of C, but my ECs and LORs are decent seeing that I've been pursuing this goal for quite some time. I would like to postpone, but again, that's what I always do... I feel as though I'm disappointing my family because they've been here to support me through this and are really aiming for me to take the test and move on. And I really want to move on! I feel like I'm at a standstill in my life and this test is the only step to get to where I want to go. Even if the score is low, I was hoping that maybe I can apply to some SMP's which require an MCAT score.

I'm so lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree and say that I'm burning out. But January seems so far away and I don't know how much longer I can study for just one test. My advisor is thinking that I'm not serious about applying because I keep doing this... I study for the MCAT, don't score well and delay the test.

Maybe I should look into the Carribean? As for EC's/application stuff, my GPA is fairly low (3.3) from the U of C, but my ECs and LORs are decent seeing that I've been pursuing this goal for quite some time. I would like to postpone, but again, that's what I always do... I feel as though I'm disappointing my family because they've been here to support me through this and are really aiming for me to take the test and move on. And I really want to move on! I feel like I'm at a standstill in my life and this test is the only step to get to where I want to go. Even if the score is low, I was hoping that maybe I can apply to some SMP's which require an MCAT score.

I'm so lost.

Take September off from studying and then pick it up again from October-December. If this is what you really want, you will find the motivation and desire to pull it through after you rest up a little.

If you don't score as high as you want in January, then think about SMPs. But if you would rather go that route (which might not be a bad idea since you've been out of school for a bit) then take it now like you planned.

Good luck with your tough decision.

I'm so lost.
I don't mean to be harsh on you but take it for what it's worth;
this test is not a joke, and some people still regard it lightly. You will not get lucky, what you see on those practice tests is what you're gonna get, and maybe harder, later mcaters have been complaining of the difficulty. If you just want to practice, why the real one, take practice test at home, if you just wanna try, doing bad will hurt you and place an additional burden on you of having to do better next time (some med schools average scores). It is worth the wait if you don't feel you are solid. Besides with a 3.3 GPA, you really need a kick ass score for them to even glance at your file. Go prepared. Your fear illustrates to be that you are not.
Best of luck.

Why are you scoring below 30? Is it due to careless mistakes or something else? My first diag was a 31 (for AAMC #3), but after I eliminated most of the stupid mistakes, my scores moved into upper 30s (on the AAMC practice tests).

Don't take the real thing if you have never scored at least a 30 on a practice test. If you went to a UC, you should be able to score at least a 30 on this test. Don't sell yourself short. Don't give up. It's always a lot harder after you have been out of school for a while, just hang in there.

Where do you live? If you are in the Bay Area on in Los Angeles, take Berkeley Review and do the passages after going to class (don't read the chapters, it's not a good use of your time unless you are really struggling with a partucular topic). If you do 10 passages a day, you can get through all the BR books in a couple of months.

I live in CA and a 3.3 would definitely not cut it for me, unless I had a 42S MCAT.

You could always move to the South for a year and establish residency and then apply.

30 is a good score here.

I cannot leave CA. I have a terminal disease called "being in love with CA." There is no known cure.

If VR is your highest score, I say take it. Get off the board right now, make a committed final effort till Wednesday, and go take your exam with confidence.

It sounds like you have prepared. Pick 2-3 topics in physics to review and take one more FL. Creating a perfect study effort for the MCAT is unattainable for most, especially if you out of school. There simply isn't that pressure of direct competition, support from friends and free time you had when in college. Life will get more complicated as you get older. It is important to get things done, not to do everything perfectly.

If in college you loved taking exams and were able to get into your zone quickly then you will be able to answer many questions on the real exam from the passage alone. If you excel under pressure you should do better on the real MCAT than on your practice tests.

My situation is similar to yours. I graduated back in 98 from JHU. I decided last year that I wanted to go back to school and meant to study for the April MCAT. Life got in the way and I ended up studying for about two weeks in the evenings and without any practice exams. I took the exam anyway and found it easier than I thought. I did not do well (9,12,9 S) but it has served as a motivation to study for my retake on the 7th.

There are those who will say that taking it twice is a mistake. If you were still in college I would agree with that. But you have moved beyond that and you have to make the most of your opportunities. You're still a kid at 25 so if you have a timing issue or knowledge deficiency that more studying and practice will correct you can wait. If you are not focused this upcoming week and cannot find your confidence then take it and be open to voiding your score. If you have prepared as best as you can and can focus---take it. Show up either way. The money is nothing in the long term. Good luck.

Thank you for all your advice! I feel the support :)

I think I'm just getting anxious with the test date near and my scores not where I want them to be. I know I should try and take the test lightly, but it's definitely easier said than done *or you may just be hearing the desperate words of a desperate girl. I've just really put my all into it and to just prolong it once more is a little hard to take... but if it's necessary, I'll do what it takes. What I may do is sit for the exam and just void it. I've already paid the money. Honestly, I may not tell my friends or family that I voided it. It's my life, not theirs. Plus, I'm pretty ashamed to tell them that I've postponed it yet again. As for studying methods, I've taken prep courses. I think I prefer the self-study method better, but I may look into more classes if TPR will let me come back at a discounted rate.

Oh guys, U of C = University of Chicago (and my test scores definitely didn't get me into this school). However, the weather in Cali seems much better.