Advice + WAMC/School MN 508 - 3.87c/3.89s Rural Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PulsarRain

Reaction score
Hi everyone! MCAT scores were released today and I was hoping to get some advice/help with my school list.

1. 3.87 cGPA and 3.89 sGPA (level trend) Chemistry Major/Math minor
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. 508 (128/125/129/126)
  3. State of residence: MN
  4. Ethnicity and/or race:
    • white
  5. Undergraduate institution or category:
    • Small liberal arts college
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    • ~4200 hours working as an EMT in an ER ~90 hrs volunteering walking patients to appointments in clinic (unsure if I can count this as nonclinical).
  7. Research experience:
    • No research beyond the lab experience from my classes in undergrad
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    • 24 hrs Surgery/Trauma
  9. Non-clinical volunteering:
    • Recently started a couple different non-clinical volunteering opportunities after reducing my hours at my EMT job.
    • ~30 hrs for meals on wheels type organization
    • ~10 hrs serving meals at homeless shelter.
    • ~10 hrs tutoring underprivileged youth.
      • Each of these is ongoing so I expect to accumulate at least +300hrs/100hrs/100hrs for each activity over the coming year.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including :
    • Competed in D3 football + Track and field.
    • Worked as a chem/math tutor in undergrad (~400 hrs)
  11. Relevant honors or awards:
    • Earned a merit scholarship from my college, deans list all semesters, Phi Beta Kappa, Magna Cum Laude
    • Won student educator of the year for my tutoring work.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important.
    • I have a rural upbringing (my dad is a farmer) and come from low socioeconomic status (qualified for FAP, Pell grants, reduced rate lunches). I am interested in rural and emergency medicine but I don’t necessarily want to limit myself to only those specialties (trauma surgery seems cool :D). I graduated undergrad summer 2021 so I’m somewhat of a non-trad applicant?
I was a bit disappointed by my mcat score since i had been scoring +513 on the practice exams (CARS and PS kind of blindsided me). I realize my non clinical volunteering is low and in combination with my current mcat score I am wondering if it is worth it to apply this year. I really want to apply but I hate the idea of limiting myself simply because of low volunteer hours and an ok MCAT.

I’d love suggestions for more DO schools.

My current list is:

MD:
University of Minnesota
UW Madison
Medical College of WI
East Virginia Medical School
Rosalind Franklin
Albany Medical College
Hackensack Meridian
Drexel
George Washington
Temple
Penn State
TCU
Vermont
Virginia commonwealth
wake forest
Quinnipiac University

DO:
DMU
PCOM
Rocky Vista
Touro
LECOM
Kansas City U
ATSU
Midwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You could add these MD schools to your application:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
NOVA MD
You have a good DO list.

realize my non clinical volunteering is low and in combination with my current mcat score I am wondering if it is worth it to apply this year. I really want to apply but I hate the idea of limiting myself simply because of low volunteer hours and an ok MCAT.
What is your purpose? Is it rural medicine? You have options with a 508 for some MD and DO programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your purpose? Is it rural medicine? You have options with a 508 for some MD and DO programs.
In my experience in rural MN, there is low trust in the few local hospitals and clinics available so people often are required/feel the need to drive for hours to larger hospitals in the main cities for their care. I feel my purpose as a physician is to work in these rural communities to provide quality care closer to where they are located and improve the standing of local hospitals or even help establish new ones. As far as what specific specialty I want to pursue, I love emergency medicine but I recognize I may want to pursue primary care or something more specialized (like general/trauma surgery or internal medicine). Due to this, I want to attend school somewhere that will allow some flexibility in specialization while also having some focus on providing care in rural settings.

Last edited:
You could add these MD schools to your application:
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
NOVA MD
You have a good DO list.
I'll add these to the list! Thanks for the help Faha!!! :D