advice wanted - high MCAT/low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lwnchair25

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How far does a high MCAT score go towards deflecting a low GPA? I have a 3.0 GPA after basically 5 years of school, including a spattering of B-'s and C's. I studied my butt off, all my guesses turned out, and I wound up with a 40 on the MCATs, but then I turned around and got Cs in Ochem. My score shows I have alot of potential, but my grades, collected over a much longer period of time, shows that in classes I've mostly just been a slacker, which unfortunately is true. I have extensive volunteer experience but average recommendations. I don't have the time or money to enter a post-bac program. I strongly feel that medicine is what I want to do, but do I have a chance despite my grades?

Members don't see this ad.

Whoa! Dude! I *WISH* I had your MCAT score. You are totally set in my opinion. Just write a really good personal statement and talk about how you turned your grades around, and you should be alright. You don't understand!! A 40 on the MCAT is like the holy grail of MCAT apptitude. People aspire that score dude, I'm telling you. You won't be overlooked! But you have to show them that this is really what you want to do. You can't be a "I got a good score on the MCAT so eat me." type of guy. You still have to be like "Please take me with my 40 MCAT." Do you get what I'm saying? Keep trying, I'm pretty sure you'll get in though, come on!! A 40 MCAT?!?!?! That's damn good! (excuse the language)

-imtiaz

Hi. Dude you won the MCAT lottery with that score. Adcoms will have to give your application a second look. Just be very very humble if you get interviews. You'll get in.
good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lawnchair,

I didn't win the "MCAT lottery" the same as you, but I did better than most (34S)... I have a loser GPA, though, a little under 3.2 (from Northwestern, nothing lower than a B- though)... anyways this summer, I applied to 20 schools (all either my own state or the low tier privates), and have one rejection (CWRU - the one good school I applied to), and about 17 secondaries. I talked to some admissions people, and they all say the same thing - you will get a look, definitely. They keep saying to me- work hard this coming year (my senior year) in case I don't get in. If I do well, I will be much stronger for next year. My two state schools have not at all said that I was a poor app, but they did say that adcoms will need a little explaining about the discrepancy. Like you, I have no good answer for that... Roll the dice, someone interviewing you may have been just like you and might give you an opportunity...
Best wishes to you,
(and to me, too, hehe)
Simul

How far does a high MCAT score go towards deflecting a low GPA? I have a 3.0 GPA after basically 5 years of school, including a spattering of B-'s and C's. I studied my butt off, all my guesses turned out, and I wound up with a 40 on the MCATs, but then I turned around and got Cs in Ochem. My score shows I have alot of potential, but my grades, collected over a much longer period of time, shows that in classes I've mostly just been a slacker, which unfortunately is true. I have extensive volunteer experience but average recommendations. I don't have the time or money to enter a post-bac program. I strongly feel that medicine is what I want to do, but do I have a chance despite my grades?

Damn! 40 MCAT with 3.0 GPA? Although that does look awkward on paper, I think you should be fine; just apply broadly.

GOOD LUCK! :)

Why resurrect an obvious troll post from 9 years ago?

Why?

Why resurrect an obvious troll post from 9 years ago?

Why?

Maybe someone is in the same situation as the OP, and it's my destiny to bring back this thread? Don't hate man....everything has a purpose...

Maybe someone is in the same situation as the OP, and it's my destiny to bring back this thread? Don't hate man....everything has a purpose...

Yeah, but you gullibly wished the one time troll poster from 2000 "good luck"...huh?

PM the OP and ask how things went. ;)

He probably got in somewhere that's why he doesn't post anymore. 40 in 2000 is a better score than 2008.