ADVICE WANTED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medica2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior graduating in May. I am very busy with school work and I also work twenty hours a week, not by choice. I have already been accepted to MCW, but I have yet to hear from my state school. I have a chance to take the MCAT in April and have my scores considered for my 2002 application at U of C. U of C is a wonderful school and I would rather go there than MCW, but I don't know if I would go to U of C over my state school because of price. My question is should I take the MCAT again and try to get into U of C, or should I just wait and see if I get into my state school and if not go to MCW. Also is it too late to start studying. Do you think I should go for it or will I make a fool of my self.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members don't see this ad.

reina1998: u got a strange problem. i dont think you shoudl take the mcat again. just think about it, how r u gonna study knowing that u got into med school? i couldnt do it. u should be happy you have a place to go. be glad that you got in cuz i know tons of ppl who would love to go to mcw. also getting into a UC school is VERY hard. who know if you'll get in. i say take the time and see what happens with your state school, if you get in, fine, if not, then go to mcw and become the best doctor you can be.

I think Reina was writing about U of C...not a UC. Nevertheless, CU's advise is good. Go to MCW. Next year you will have a lot of explaining to do as to why you didn't attend the school you were accepted to. From what I hear, schools frown on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Logically, there is no way you can guarantee you'll get into U of C next year. No way. But you can guarantee you'll get into MCW this year, because you already are in. Don't be stupid! Take MCW because there is no telling what happens in this application process. Even if you re-take the MCAT and get a 35, there is no guarantee you'll get into U of C. Be thankful you got in and go. I've gotten into MCW as well and out of all the schools I've interviewed at (minus 3), I've liked it the best. It is a dope school with killer people and stuff. Others would die for an MCW acceptances.

Plus, whose to say you won't go down in your MCAT score?

I think there is a little confusion here. I am talking about University of Chicago and I would not have to reapply. They would consider my April scores for this year. Also I would not have to tell MCW no, unless I got accepted to U of C. My main question is, is trying to get into U of C worth stressing out about or is MCW just as good as U of C.

well if you got nothing to lose, take the MCAT and see if they'll consider your scores for this year. You got nothing to lose. In the meantime, you are already in at MCW so no worries. Do it!

Even for this year, you'll get the scores back in july. Class starts in august, if i recall correctly. By that time they're deep into waitlist territory and probably won't be waiting around. Go with MCW. --Trek