advice would be greatly appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMBAND

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at my one shot for med school next year and I most likely won't hear until June...everything about my app was great except I had a 7PS so obviously that makes everything else mean almost nothing to some schools...anyway if I reapply I was told to retake the MCAT 'cause that's the only thing holding me back and it's really just the PS score that was a problem...but do I really want to do that??? I want to go to med school it's all I've been focused on for years I took the MCATS 2x already (I had mono and was just disoriented for the first time and blew it) I really don't know if I want to do that all over again...I want to go to med school but I also can't see studying my butt off to re-take it and then find out a month later I got into the school off the waitlist...I'm thinking of going to work in NYC for a year (kinda been a dream of mine) but I doubt I'd come back wanting to apply to med school after and to top it off my bf is going to Harvard dental next year and is thrilled about it and I'm kinda just in a rut...not a good situation to say the least...any advice? I feel like someone's gnona say it doesn't really sound like I want it badly enough but I don't think it's that I think it's that I'm just mentally exhausted from this tortursome process...ugh sorry it's so long-winded I don't usually post

Members don't see this ad.

Go DO, and apply really really early. Poeple get into US allopathic schools with 7's if the rest of their application is great.

Sounds like a DO school might be a better fit for you if that doesn't work out.

You should congradulate your B/F on getting into Harvards dental program! Alot of pre-meds don't realize how competative the dental application process can be at top schools. However if you have your heart set on BU, Tufts, or a school close to him you will almost certainly have to re-take your MCAT.

I am currently waitlisted at my one shot for med school next year and I most likely won't hear until June...everything about my app was great except I had a 7PS so obviously that makes everything else mean almost nothing to some schools...anyway if I reapply I was told to retake the MCAT 'cause that's the only thing holding me back and it's really just the PS score that was a problem...but do I really want to do that??? I want to go to med school it's all I've been focused on for years I took the MCATS 2x already (I had mono and was just disoriented for the first time and blew it) I really don't know if I want to do that all over again...I want to go to med school but I also can't see studying my butt off to re-take it and then find out a month later I got into the school off the waitlist...I'm thinking of going to work in NYC for a year (kinda been a dream of mine) but I doubt I'd come back wanting to apply to med school after and to top it off my bf is going to Harvard dental next year and is thrilled about it and I'm kinda just in a rut...not a good situation to say the least...any advice? I feel like someone's gnona say it doesn't really sound like I want it badly enough but I don't think it's that I think it's that I'm just mentally exhausted from this tortursome process...ugh sorry it's so long-winded I don't usually post
My advice: learn to use the "return" key. Edit your post into more than a run-on paragraph, then I might actually read it and give you some advice on your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, first I would consider the school you are waitlisted at. How much does their waitlist tend to move, and how realistic do you really think it is that you would get off their list?

Second, if you only plan on working a year in NY, you should retake the MCAT this spring. I know it sounds awful, and as much as I dream of becoming a doctor, I had a terrible time making myself study for the MCAT. As a reapplicant, however, I think my BIGGEST disadvantage has been applying late after taking the August MCAT. If I could do anything over, it would be taking the MCAT earlier to be able to apply early.

Also, what is the rest of your applicaiton like?

Good luck!

can you see yourself getting married to your bf? If so, as the future wife of a Harvard-graduating dentist, I don't think you have too much to worry about ;)

But if you actually have this silly thing called ambition, I'd say go with your instincts. If you really want to be a doctor that badly, you'll suck up the pain of studying for the MCAT again. But don't just force yourself do something... if your heart is in being a businesswoman in NYC... then go for it.

thanks for the help so far...(gracefully ignoring the wonderful individual who could care less) the rest of my app is strong good LORs, tons of clinical work in a city hospital, tons of shadowing hours, good GPA, tons of music/singing activities, i was pretty much told it was the 7 keeping me out because of the "magic 8 rule" at a lot of schools

Sorry one more thing...as for the school I'm waitlisted at more than half of the current class is from the waitlist (it's a state school) and I was told based on my interview performance I have an excellent chance of getting in off the waitlist but that's just not making me feel any better it's just putting more pressure on me and making me a crappy gf having trouble being excited for my bf's accomplishments but at least that I actually have control over fixing and yes I would love to marry him in the future...I just need to somehow figure out what the heck I want!

gracefully ignoring the wonderful individual who could care less

Trust me....I could care less....but I think if you are asking for our help, you should have the decency to take the time to make your post as easy to read as possible.