Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alamanda

Alamanda
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am a minority graduate student working on a Masters in animal physiology. I have a 4.0 grad gpa now and I'm working as a graduate teaching assistant. Also, I'm currently the president of a pre-medical society. Unfortunately, my undergrad gpa was not the same. I have a 2.86 from undergrad. My major was Biology and minor Chemistry. I worked two jobs through college to make ends meet and volunteered now and again but, what really hurt my gpa was when I miss judged my own abilities to do my best when a close relative was fighting cancer that ended up being terminal. Needless to say I got a few C's and one D. When I did regain focus I replaced the D with an A and my grades whent up. Recently, I took the Aug. 2000 MCAT for the 2nd time and didnt do well. I got a 20. I know I must do much better. I'm working on my weak points now and preparing for the April 2001 MCAT. I'm working hard to complete my masters in 2 years and I plan on doing so well on the MCATs that I will be accepted to medical school by then. I know nothings for certain so I will continue to work hard towards my goal. I would like some advice on my situation and how I may improve my application to medical school.

------------------

Members don't see this ad.

Well, there's the obvious stuff, like improving your MCAT scores and maintaining your stellar gpa, but you know that already. For the MCAT, have you tried taking one of those courses offered through Kaplan or Princeton Review? That might help, although they are expensive.

You were unclear as to whether your volunteer work was clinically related - in my opinion, that's a key component of anyone's application. It demonstrates interest in the field. What's even more important is taking the volunteer service to the next level - work towards a leadership position, stay with the organization for more than a year, get a good letter of rec out of it. Another thing you might try is starting a program of your own. For example, right now I'm working on starting a symposium for foster kids in high school to help them get into college. I'm researching financial aid options and scholarships, and getting together information on different programs that can help them. I was a foster kid, and this is my way of "giving back," but it won't hurt my application, either.

Also, figure out what you learned from the experience you had with your relative. A very close friend of mine died of cancer in my second semester of college, and it affected my grades for a while. My gpa suffered, and I'm working on resurrecting it. Although that experience was initially detrimental, I think it also helped my resolve toward becoming a physician and may have given me a deeper understanding of the psychological ramifications of illness, not just for the patient but also for the family. Adcoms are going to want to know what happened to you, especially in light of your current success in grad school. I think it is to your benefit if you can show that you not only lived through it, but gained something from it as well.

I hope this helps.

Nanon

For starters, get a copy of MEDICAL SCHOOL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS. Try the premedical advisor's office at your university, try the library and as a last resort buy a copy. There is section in it "Information for Minority Group Students."

If you are willing to tell me what university you are in and exactly where it is, I may be able to suggest persons who will be able to advise you better, face to face, than I can on a web site. They will not care if you are not a student at their own insitution. You need accurate information and advice. You are not out of it so far, not by a long shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Nanon !
Almost all of my volunteer experiences have been clinical. I'm using various sources to study for the MCAT, including kaplan subject books. Did Kaplan help you? Thanks again for the compassionate words of encouragement. The program your starting to foster kids in high school sounds great. I'm sure they will learn a lot from you.

Hi Gower,
I would be happy to speak with anyone who could advise me better. I attend Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro,TN. If you know of someone in TN, let me know.

Thanks

This is only advise, nothing personal.

If I were you, I would not take the MCAT again until I was 100% sure that I was as prepared as I could be. If I'm not mistaken, it is only allowed 3 times and then you must seek special previleges to take it. It you get in med school a year late, it will be better than never getting in. Spend the money on a prep course and attend every class. Then go to the test center every day and do practice work. This is exactly what I did. I could not afford the course, but I put it on my visa card. $1200 was not going to stand in the way of my dream. My test score was not great, but w/o the course, there was no way to get in with the score I had on several practice tests. I scored 18 on three practice tests. Before I finished I was scoring 28 consistently on practice tests. Not great, but I think it will get me in my state school.

Good Luck

I have the names of three persons for you now.

At Vanderbilt:

Dr. Michael Rodriquez, Director of Minority Student Affairs
Dr. Lukens ,Chairman, Admissions Committee
Call the Admissions Office and ask to speak with either of them and/or arrange an appointment. I would try Dr. Rodriquez first.
I believe face-to-face is always best, but if it is incovenient or too expensive to travel there, then by phone or possibly email.

At UT, Memphis

Dr. Kenneth Robinson 901 448 7728
Same as above: appointment for face-to-face

Tell them about your concerns, your past record, your present status. LISTEN to what they tell you. DON'T ARGUE.

I don't have a specific name for you at Meharry. Call Admissions and ask for a counseling interview. 615 327 6223

I haven't looked at web sites yet. See if there is any useful info at them.

Meharry: www.mmc.edu

UT: www.utmem.edu/medicine

Vandy: www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/med school/

I have other resources to check out, but they will take a little longer. Either watch this site or give me an email address to get in touch with you.

Have a good new year and be optimistic.

Thanks so much for the contacts gower!
You can email me at [email protected] with any other information. I really appreciate your advice.
Thanks again and Happy New Year!