Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maria044

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a 23 year old college Junior that has recently decided to dive right in and go pre-DO! Hurray, except for the fact I am suddenly panicking because I cannot find the button in life that lets you rewind the last 2 years of college. Like some out there, I have worked 50+ hours a week while going to school, which resulted in a pathetic 3.0 GPA and 102 credits. Meaning it will be sooo hard to bring it up without 20 A+'s on my transcript. I have 7 years of health experience, but am concerned about my GPA and the fact that I am two years behind most applying as juniors. Any advice to someone that has always worked in healthcare(just wasn't sure which branch of medicine to pursue), wants to be a wonderful doc, and is trying to prepare to apply in the next year or two? Any advice will be appreciated, as I feel suddenly overwhelmed and lost. Thank you and good luck to everyone!

Maria

Members don't see this ad.

maria- a 3.0 is not the world's worst gpa, besides you have 2 years to improve on that with the science prerequisites.what field is your "7 years of health care experience" in ?
the greater the level of responsibility you have at work, the more likely that this will give you big brownie points when you apply.
23 is not that old in the grand scheme of things when applying to a D.O. school.I am 32 and still have a few years of coursework left to do.best of luck-emedpa :D

Maria,

No problem. Do well these next two years by getting A's. Let the admission committees know that you are serious about becoming a doc. They will look at your improvement over the last two years unlike many allopathic schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually you are in a pretty good position. Like the others said, do well from now on and continue to lead an interesting or health care related extracurricular existance, and you'll get in.

You have nothing to worry about. I am 23 years old. I would like to think that I am still young. Just do well and we'll see ya in the awesome field of osteopathic med.
The physician heals, nature makes well.

A fews weeks back I had to go to the ER because I was having an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. The doctor that saw me was a DO and he told me he entered medical school at age 42! He's now 60-something, so don't sweat it.