SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NTB, Jul 7, 2001.

1. NTB

NTB New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Ohio
    I was just wondering if anyone could offer me some advice. I graduated in the fall of 1999 with a BS in Chemistry and Biological Science with a GPA of 3.1. I took the MCATs the previous April and recieved a 25. However, I begin to have doubts about going to medical school and did not apply that year. After I graduated i took an advanced anatomy class but was totally unmotivated and stopped attending the class, which, obviously lowered my GPA. Since then I have been working as a Chemistry lab technician at a Research institute. However, i began to have thoughts that maybe i had made a mistake. I was just wonderin what everyone thought about my chances for applying next year. I realize my MCATs will not be good next year. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Denilson

Denilson Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2001
    NY
    I think as long as you have the heart to do it and convey it on your essay and interview, you shold be fine...I'm in the process of applying now and it's stressful...yo're competing against a good bunch of people, but some schools look at different things besides GPA/MCAT...I would apply to many schools and keep a positive state of mind...have a great back up plan to for the next year to...i'm a phd student so if i don't get in this year, i'm going to hawaii to do a post-doc and do a lot of volunteer work at state clinics over there...i'm from NY and hate it by now...I need some sun!!!
    BEST OF LUCK...

4. apple638

apple638 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Metairie, La
    NTB,
    Hang in there. Maybe you can contact some of the schools about there post bac programs and start preparing for the April MCAT. I went through that doubting stage that you are in now and I had to realize that becoming a doctor was in my heart and no matter what I did it just wouldn't go away. It's time for you to do some soul searching to see exactly what you want to do.

5. apple638

apple638 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Metairie, La
    you can also study for the august mcat that is coming up but I don't know if you have enough time to prepare yourself