advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kls

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in applying to DO med schools. Here's my situation: I have a MPH and am currently working on my doctorate in public health. I plan to retake the MCAT April 2001 to raise my score. My grades in graduate school were pretty good (3.6 cumulative), but undergrad wasn't so great... (2.8 cumulative majored in biology at a private university) I am considering retaking some of my required pre-med courses to boost my GPA. Does anyone have any idea how DO schools look at students who have gone back and taken pre-med required courses again? Also, what's the average MCAT scores for those who are execpted into DO schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most "DO" schools will look at your whole application and not just 1 particular section. Having much experience, as you do, is also a plus, especially the MPH. My friend has been accepted to many "DO" schools and she did retake about 2 classes to improve her G.P.A. They did not take it against her at all. They were just very impressed with her improvement. I would have to say that the average MCAT for "DO" schools is about 26. The highest average of a "DO" school that I have heard of is Kirksville at a 28, and the lowest is LECOM/NOVA/WVSOM at about 25. I got these number from AACOMAS information so they should be pretty close.
I will be attending Kirksville so I know the 28 average is correct.

Thanks Akron Ohio! Your reply really helps
smile.gif