advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

I am currently a senior doing my undergrad at a competitive liberal arts school in Maine. I know that going to Osteopathic medical school is what I want to do. I would love to attend UNECOM but any would do. My problem is that my GPA is just above 3.0. My science GPA is about the same. I plan on taking the next year or two to help my cause. My question is what graduate programs are the best for my situation and is grad school to bring up my GPA the answer. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I am speaking from NO experience, but since no one has yet responded, let me try.

Many students, that I have seen, use graduate school to make their applications more competitive. They use it to do research or to gain an education in some area that they enjoy.

I wouldn't select a graduate school program that "looks good" to an admissions counselor. Rather, I would select something that I felt I would do well in, have fun with, learn something that I want to learn, and feel confident speaking about that part of my education at a medical school interview.

Also...maybe goign to grad school isn't necessary, if you are indeed looking to use it only to help your chances at med school.

Give UNECOM a shot. Do you have good MCATs? Do you have a great deal of volunteer work? How about experience in the medical field? Life experience? Shadowing?

All these must be taken into consideration before jumping into grad school.

What about the Peace Corps? That's a two year committment.
Missionary work with a church group?

There are a number of things you can do. Speak with your pre-med advisor at your school or call UNECOM and ask to speak with an admissions counselor about your application.

Don't give up.

Best of luck to you.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton, CNA, EMT-B
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)
"D.O. Wannabe"

Thanks for the info JP. I haven't taken the MCATS yet but will be taking them in August, so applying for next year is already out of the question. I have two shadowing/internship experiences with DO's and two letters from them. I would like to do something that involves patient contact but I also want to be accepted the first time I apply.

I would advise doing a graduate degree only
if there is some type of program out there
that you like. I dont have a good undergrad
science GPA, but I am doing a postbac, plus
pursuing a Masters in Public Health. But
also I love public health and am enjoying
the opportunities it has opened up for me.
Its better to do a graduate degree in a
field you like to enhance your application.
But dont do it just because it will make
your applicatione better, esp. if you wont
enjoy it. You will be miserable and waist time and money. I have no regrets doing an
MPH, b/c I LOVE it. You sound like you have
strong credentials for DO school. Good luck!