Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hope2BMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new on here so I hope I'm posting in the correct place...I have received conflicting advice about retaking the MCATS. So, I thought I'd ask here. I did ok (28P) and my GPAs are 3.95 overall 4.0 science. I've already submitted my AMCAS app and will start returning secondaries soon. Any advice based on what anyone has heard or has experienced? Thanks!! (Also, I haven't started studying again...yet).

Members don't see this ad.

Hope2BMD said:
Hi. I'm new on here so I hope I'm posting in the correct place...I have received conflicting advice about retaking the MCATS. So, I thought I'd ask here. I did ok (28P) and my GPAs are 3.95 overall 4.0 science. I've already submitted my AMCAS app and will start returning secondaries soon. Any advice based on what anyone has heard or has experienced? Thanks!! (Also, I haven't started studying again...yet).
Can't really say without knowing more about the rest of your app. But assuming it's strong (i.e. more along the lines of your GPA than your MCAT), your MCAT score is sufficient to make you competiive at allopathic schools.

Hope2BMD said:

Hard decision. One thing to think about is how much you feel you can improve your score. Were there any unusual circumstances around the last test? Did you study and prepare well? It really varies from school to school, but I think there's a definite advantage to being in the April MCAT applicant pool vs. the August pool. For some schools, this won't matter, but as a general rule, early is better.

I'd say that in order to make it worth retaking, you would want to improve your score by three points. Improving by two would be good, but at some schools, those extra two points will be offset by being further back in line.

Maybe study hard for two weeks and take a practice test to see how you feel? If you think you can improve significantly, go for it. If not, save yourself the misery and be happy with your score. If the rest of your application is strong, you can definitely be competitive with a 28.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope2BMD said:

Also, how does your MCAT breakdown look? If your breakdown is generally normal, then your 28 should get you plenty of interviews and hopefully acceptances. EC's are a big component as well.

The breakdown is very important. Also, where did you earn that gpa and what courses did you take?

An 8, 10, 10 and a degree from a top school where you took a challenging load of courses (honors classes etc) is one thing. It's a different kettle of fish if you have a 14 7 7, & took most, or all, of your coursework at a no-name local college that takes just about any H.S. grad, and took a load that was heavy with intro courses, even in your jr & sr years.

LizzyM said:
The breakdown is very important. Also, where did you earn that gpa and what courses did you take?

An 8, 10, 10 and a degree from a top school where you took a challenging load of courses (honors classes etc) is one thing. It's a different kettle of fish if you have a 14 7 7, & took most, or all, of your coursework at a no-name local college that takes just about any H.S. grad, and took a load that was heavy with intro courses, even in your jr & sr years.

Hi. Sorry, I was unable to access the site for awhile. I had a 10PS, 10V, and 8BS. I was at a state school, but I was invited into the school's Honors College and completed a competitive Departmental Honors Program. I have decided to stick with my score so that I am ahead on the list. I appreciate everyone's feedback!!