Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopetocure2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I signed up a while ago to take the MCAT this Saturday on 8 Sep. I received my first MCAT score 10 days ago and got a 29 (9 PS, 7 VR, 13 PS). I haven't studied for the MCAT in a month. I averaged 34-42 on my AAMC practice MCAT's this summer. Should I retake the MCAT this Saturday after only 3 days of studying?

I just took an MCAT tonight (AAMC #3) and scored a 30 (PS 10 VR 9 BS 11).

Advice!!! I want to have a shot at some good schools!

Members don't see this ad.

It's quite unbelievable someone scoring a 42 could even get something below 35, much less a 30..
What's really going on there? Unless you could find out and discuss why your score fluctuated so much, there's not much people here could offer.

If one can score 40+ on the MCAT, I doubt they'll drop below 33 since, at times, scores of 33+ can be somewhat of a game. IMO you should score at least 30 on your exams. Try to work on your game day mentality and be extremely focused on test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's quite unbelievable someone scoring a 42 could even get something below 35, much less a 30..
What's really going on there? Unless you could find out and discuss why your score fluctuated so much, there's not much people here could offer.

Was just about to say...

Shouldn't even have a range of that much for your practices. An 8 point range is quite high...

Also, no you shouldn't take the test. If you won't get >10% higher, than it's pointless. How did you not take AAMC3 beforehand? If you want to go to "good" schools, then wait a cycle and take the exam in the spring. A 29 could get you in somewhere, albeit not a highly ranked school, but you'll hurt your chances a lot if you take it again on 3 days of prep and end up with another 29.

sorry, but i just don't believe that you could score a 42 on one aamc and then a 30 on a later one...the discrepancy between those scores simply cannot be attributed to how you were feeling on a particular day. a 42 basically means that you got 3-4 questions wrong on the whole test across all three sections, while a thirty is probably upwards of twenty questions wrong (probably more).

i took 5 practice tests and scored within a 3 point range on all 5 (36-39), so i'm guessing that you may have retaken a test to get such a high score?

No, I took all the tests only once. But, I only timed myself on the last ones. My average untimed was from 38-42 whereas my timed scores were from 34-36. I guess I shouldn't take the MCAT tomorrow and restudy this spring to be a better applicant at hopefully a top 20 school. What do you think?

yeah, just check this guy's post history. his mcat score has changed from a 35 in a previous thread to a 29 in this thread, and half of his early posts are deleted... :laugh:

yeah, just check this guy's post history. his mcat score has changed from a 35 in a previous thread to a 29 in this thread, and half of his early posts are deleted... :laugh:

But if he is a troll, what's the point of posting like this? It's an online forum. Let's say that I tell everyone I make 40s on my FLs(which I definitely don't LOL). I guess I would feel superior to the rest of you but if it's a big fat lie it won't do anything for my app...

haha, i think it's just to try to get a reaction out of people. basically, an effective troll will make a wild claim to which most rational people will have a strong opinion/reaction.

for example, if somebody were to make a claim that they were scoring between a 30 and a 42 on their full-lengths....