Jan 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey everyone,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for bothering to read this. I am currently a Junior and I have had one of the worst academic year of my college career. I was a Biochemistry major and my first semester after transferring in, mid semester my mom had major surgery and was bedridden for a month, therefore leaving me to pick up most of the work at home and with my siblings. My grades suffered:

Organic I-B
Physics I- C+
Organic Lab- C+
Honors Course-A

This new semester everything was going fine I started off with all As and mid semester my mom got sick again and right before finals we had a death in my immediate family. (The weekend before finals) leaving me emotionally and mentally drained. so for this new semester my grades are now:
Organic II- C
Organic II lab- C+
Biochemistry- C
Physics II-A-
Honors course-A

Any advice on how to proceed? I am also switching my major to Political Science and keeping a minor in Biochemistry. I plan on retaking all my courses with the Cs however I don't know how medical schools will view the fact that I am retaking these core classes. I am just so lost. I'm worried that this past year has completely shot my chances to the ground. :( :confused:

Etorphine

7+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
that looks iffy for MD. We need more info, as those multiple C's probably tanked your GPA. Retake ~C classes and you might still have a shot at DO. Please give stats.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for bothering to read this. I am currently a Junior and I have had one of the worst academic year of my college career. I was a Biochemistry major and my first semester after transferring in, mid semester my mom had major surgery and was bedridden for a month, therefore leaving me to pick up most of the work at home and with my siblings. My grades suffered:

Organic I-B
Physics I- C+
Organic Lab- C+
Honors Course-A

This new semester everything was going fine I started off with all As and mid semester my mom got sick again and right before finals we had a death in my immediate family. (The weekend before finals) leaving me emotionally and mentally drained. so for this new semester my grades are now:
Organic II- C
Organic II lab- C+
Biochemistry- C
Physics II-A-
Honors course-A

Any advice on how to proceed? I am also switching my major to Political Science and keeping a minor in Biochemistry. I plan on retaking all my courses with the Cs however I don't know how medical schools will view the fact that I am retaking these core classes. I am just so lost. I'm worried that this past year has completely shot my chances to the ground. :( :confused:
What are your stats?

Based on this, though, you might be looking at more DO schools.

Apr 12, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Our O-Chem labs were only 2 credits, so a bad grade in those didn't do as much damage as the bigger classes such as the lecture portion or physics. The Cs in O-Chem and Biochem don't look too promising, but if you retake and get a A that would turn the story around.

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
My cumulative GPA up to this point is a 3.54.
You definitely don't need to retake too many classes. You might want to retake biochemistry and maybe orgo II for DO schools, but the C+'s are fine. Just take upper division classes and do well in them. I would be careful with placing too many challenging courses in one semester, though.

I'm curious. With all these C's and your GPA is only a 3.54, you must have had a phenomenal GPA before this incident.

In any case, you're not out of the MD race just yet.

Also, what is your MCAT score, if you've taken it already?

OP
M
Jan 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I've registered to retake O-chem and Biochemistry next semester, and an upper level Biochem course. So far my plan is to just retake all my Cs and take some upper level Biochem courses, pull As and get a competitive MCAT score. I'm hoping to still have a moderate chance for Medschool. *hopefully*

OP
M
Jan 20, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
You definitely don't need to retake too many classes. You might want to retake biochemistry and maybe orgo II for DO schools, but the C+'s are fine. Just take upper division classes and do well in them. I would be careful with placing too many challenging courses in one semester, though.

I'm curious. With all these C's and your GPA is only a 3.54, you must have had a phenomenal GPA before this incident.

Yeah, I had a 4.0 for about 44 hours before this year so thankfully for that I had a good buffer. I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm about a year ahead, so i'm planning to lengthen things out and just graduating on time therefore giving me more time to fix my GPA and resume. Also that's why I'm switching to PoliSci, and keeping a minor in Biochem. The political science classes will be my buffer so I can focus more on my science classes and do well in them. :xf:

Aerus

Elemental Alchemist
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I had a 4.0 for about 44 hours before this year so thankfully for that I had a good buffer. I haven't taken my MCAT yet. I'm about a year ahead, so i'm planning to lengthen things out and just graduating on time therefore giving me more time to fix my GPA and resume. Also that's why I'm switching to PoliSci, and keeping a minor in Biochem. The political science classes will be my buffer so I can focus more on my science classes and do well in them. :xf:
Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure you apply broadly, including to all your state schools (if you're not in Cali) and make sure you apply to a couple DO schools too. The goal is to become a doctor.

For now, study for the MCAT and ace it. Give yourself about 3 months to study for it, though. Make sure you're still reading a lot, to keep your verbal strong, although there isn't too much you can do to change it at this point.

gatorade848

5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, I've registered to retake O-chem and Biochemistry next semester, and an upper level Biochem course. So far my plan is to just retake all my Cs and take some upper level Biochem courses, pull As and get a competitive MCAT score. I'm hoping to still have a moderate chance for Medschool. *hopefully*
since you didnt do well in biochem, you sure you want to take upper level biochem classes? anyway with your current gpa you are still well in the MD race, just make sure you get as many As and possible from now on and get 32+ MCAT. As for the bad year, make sure you explain it in your personal statement. I would consider taking a year off so you would have your senior year grades to alleviate the effects of those bad grades.

Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
Status
Pre-Medical

She's nowhere near out of MD.