1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Advice

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by 1stMystery, Jun 8, 2000.

1. 1stMystery

1stMystery New Member

Hello,
    I am applying to medical school this year but want some advice on my competitiveness. I have a 3.01 GPA a 2.91 Science GPA. I have taken the MCATT twice: the fist time scored 12 second time scored 13 and I plan to take it again this august. I am an African American male and graduated from Grambling State University in Grambling,LA ,a Historicaly Black University, in May of 1999. With that record how competitive am I for med school and if not that great what do I need to improve?

Thaks for the advise

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Carp

Carp Member
    10+ Year Member

The average MCAT score is 25 or 26, and the average MCAT score of people accepted is 29-30. So, an MCAT of 13 will, frankly, shut you out. Have you considered taking a review course? Your grades are far below average as well. You really ought to talk to your pre-med advisor, surely there is one there. Best of luck.

4. 1stMystery

1stMystery New Member

I have graduated and for the second MCAT I went through Kaplan. I am now looking for postbacc programs just in case i dont get in this time.

5. zolie

zolie Member
    10+ Year Member

We actually have a Gramblin' graduate in my post-bacc program, and from what I know it is considered to be more of an athletic than academic school. I really think a post-bacc program is going to be your best route in terms of your ability to perform in a more "academic environment".

I wasn't sure about your MCAT score whether that was your total or not, but if it is, you'll need to work really hard on that. I wish you the best of luck, and if you're willing to put in the effort, you can make it to med school.