Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1stMystery

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am applying to medical school this year but want some advice on my competitiveness. I have a 3.01 GPA a 2.91 Science GPA. I have taken the MCATT twice: the fist time scored 12 second time scored 13 and I plan to take it again this august. I am an African American male and graduated from Grambling State University in Grambling,LA ,a Historicaly Black University, in May of 1999. With that record how competitive am I for med school and if not that great what do I need to improve?

Thaks for the advise

Members don't see this ad.

The average MCAT score is 25 or 26, and the average MCAT score of people accepted is 29-30. So, an MCAT of 13 will, frankly, shut you out. Have you considered taking a review course? Your grades are far below average as well. You really ought to talk to your pre-med advisor, surely there is one there. Best of luck.

I have graduated and for the second MCAT I went through Kaplan. I am now looking for postbacc programs just in case i dont get in this time.

We actually have a Gramblin' graduate in my post-bacc program, and from what I know it is considered to be more of an athletic than academic school. I really think a post-bacc program is going to be your best route in terms of your ability to perform in a more "academic environment".

I wasn't sure about your MCAT score whether that was your total or not, but if it is, you'll need to work really hard on that. I wish you the best of luck, and if you're willing to put in the effort, you can make it to med school.