1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advise about my research article

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by radicalry9, May 27, 2008.

1. radicalry9

Pre-Dental
    I have an article published about my experience and what i did for research in the Penn State Ag. magazine. I only have a few copies of the magazine but there is a website that has it and I could print out copies from there.

How should I include this in my application or should I even include it?

Also, If you have worked in a Dental office for the last 6 months do you think your previous shadowing hours matter?

Thanks guys

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    I would include the research article under "research experience", and mention the publication when describing your research. As far as shadowing goes, you can place the hours under the "dentistry experience" section. If you are like me and have also worked in an office, that can go under "work experience". They will see both. Hope that helps. :thumbup:

4. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student

Rehab Sci Student
    This is stupid. An article about your research isn't the same as a research publication. The latter is achievement. The former's desperation.

5. Zerconia2921

Zerconia2921 Bring your A-game!

Pre-Pharmacy
    Dont hate the playa

6. UCSF2012

UCSF2012 Tooth Rehab Student

Rehab Sci Student
    I would hate the game, if there were one....

7. doc3232

Dental Student
    I don't really understand publications fully, but if it just about your research rather than an achievement then it isn't really worth noting.
    Like UCSF said.

8. PSU SHC 414

Resident [Any Field]

I wouldn't exactly go as far to say that it's "stupid", but I'm not sure if it's significant enough - adcoms could just see it as a "space-filler" (i.e. desperation, as UCSF2012 so eloquently put it). Rather than including that, I'd just list the lab or PI that you did your research with... if the topic comes up during an interview, you could mention that there was an article writtein about your research...

9. PSU SHC 414

Resident [Any Field]

Yes, ALL experiences related to dentistry matter... list it all.

10. Dandan9

Pre-Dental
    I worked in as dental assistant in my freshman year. should I put this in "work experience" section or "dentistry experience"?

11. radicalry9

Pre-Dental

The article got my research noticed because then I wrote a poster for Experimental Bio conference(national level conference) and took first place my freshman year giving me a full scholarship to complete my education. So therefore saying the article was stupid was very uncalled for and maybe you are putting done others work to replace your emptyness. sorry.

12. DRHOYA

Pre-Dental
    Yes, if you were on the payroll, it goes under "work experience", even if it was as a dental assistant. Hours that you were in the office shadowing or volunteering go under the appropriate cateogries. For example like I said before, I had previously shadowed and volunteered for about 3yrs before I was actually employed as a dental assistant. I used both categories to explain each.