-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rockdude

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Presumably the post-bacc programs you applied to after graduating were filled or almost filled. I think you have a decent chance with DOs, with a brand name undergrad, good ECs and a 509 - and should apply next cycle. Some may question your suitability due to your low sciGPA, so taking comprehensive science courses through a post-bacc is a good idea. An added benefit is that they will help prepare you for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The better SMPs out there like Tufts fill up pretty fast.. I wouldn't be too upset that those didnt work out with a late application.

If I were you, I'd apply to SMPs for next fall now (Tufts, Temple, Loyola, Tulane) and if that doesnt work out or you dont get a good feel for a program, I'd apply to DO schools early next spring for next cycle.

3) Should I wait until I finish my post bacc and then apply for DO and a few MD programs in June of 2020?
This. I think that you owe it to yourself to take a post-bac (which can be DIY) or SMp to prove to both Adcoms AND yourself that you can handle med school. With a 3.0 sGPA, I worry that you'll struggle a lot in med school.

Please help me with suggestions on what to do next. I am currently shadowing doctors, volunteering in hospitals. I did one summer of bench research as a Freshman. I have applied for a data coordinator job with a professor in a medical university - this includes clinical research and some shadowing], hopefully will start before November 1st.
You might want to get involved in some nonmedical community service with a cause you care about, where you work face to face with those in need.

Dr. Catalyst, thank you for your guidance. I will try to figure out some community based face to face volunteering opportunities. BTW, I will be starting my data analyst job for a medical university professor soon, I was just now offered the job. Hope I can capitalize on this opportunity.
Congrats on the job offer.

BTW, something like your past prisoner education experience gets adcomm bonus points as it takes one so far out of one's comfort zone with a very needful population. Well done.