Advise in how to match into a residency program in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJcandy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian currently in my first year of osteopathic medical school in the states. I hope to do my residency in Canada after graduation. I was just wondering if anyone managed to match into a Canadian residency program after their osteopathic medical training. If so, where, what and how did you do it? thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am guessing but you need to look at residency spots asifyou are applying as an FMG. You will be doing VISA stuff too if you aren't already a citizen. Good luck!

Hi everyone, I'm a Canadian currently in my first year of osteopathic medical school in the states. I hope to do my residency in Canada after graduation. I was just wondering if anyone managed to match into a Canadian residency program after their osteopathic medical training. If so, where, what and how did you do it? thanks so much!!

Well JJCandy, don't know how things will be when you graduate... but for the time being.. you can match in family practice in ontario and any specialty in Alberta. Those are regulations. These might be different now since IMG have a seperate or combined match. That is a new thing in Canada. Condsidering you will have US$ loans, you may want to consider staying in the US. Again it depends on specialty you want and location. Don't thing its realistic to match at UofT.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was looking at this... and to tell you the truth... its seems like its better to be an IMG.

http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_prov_e.shtml
damn...it seems like an IMG would definatley have an easier time matching to Canadian residency program than a DO. I'm dissapointed. Docbill in the link that you posted it says "2nd" for Alberta under osteopathic graduates. What does that mean? does it mean that as a DO you can match into any specialty but only in second round match?

Yes, in theory that is true. However... most specialties will be VERY VERY competitive.. the first and second time trying to match in a specialty.

damn...it seems like an IMG would definatley have an easier time matching to Canadian residency program than a DO. I'm dissapointed. Docbill in the link that you posted it says "2nd" for Alberta under osteopathic graduates. What does that mean? does it mean that as a DO you can match into any specialty but only in second round match?

are you staying in U.S. for your residency and are you planning on practicing in U.S. as well?

are you staying in U.S. for your residency and are you planning on practicing in U.S. as well?

NO ONE KNOWS!!! I don't know.. if you know please let me know.

I would like to practice close to family and friends... that way I can have kids and they can be babysat by family. Even though my spouse and I would probably make more money in the US and would be able to afford a full time nanny and house care etc... I think I would still rather the family option and simpler lifestyle. I will be in most likely teaching.. so there will be many options.. maybe even Europe.