Advise Needed !

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPatel1987

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone can give me some advise on which schools to apply. Here is my brief profile.

Overall GPA: 4.000 (University of South Carolina, Honors College)
Major: Chemistry
Minor: Neuroscience and Medical Humanities
August 2006 MCAT: (6V, 9PS, 9BS)-24M
May 31, 07, MCAT: (9V, 10PS, 12BS)- 31M

EC:
1) Executive Editor of IMPULSE (Undergraduate International Neuroscience Journal)- (1 and half years)
2) Supplemental Instruction Leader (3 years)
3) Research (2 years) including thesis (senior year)
3) Part of a treatment advisory group for refractory cases at a psychiatric hospital (1/2 year)
4) Hospital Volunteer (1 summer)
5) Executive committee, Habitat for Humanity (1 year)
7) American Red Cross member (1 year)

Current list of schools:
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
Medical University of South Carolina
Wake Forest University

Any other that I would have a good chance at? Any help appreciated.

Thank you very much for your help and time,
Dan Patel

Members don't see this ad.

There are many schools you would be competitive for. Your MCAT shows tremendous improvement, and your GPA is stellar. I'd look at the MSAR to find schools you're interested in attending (or even just areas you'd have fun living) and do more research from there. Good luck!

You might want to consider Emory. It's a great school that does have a regional bias (like many medical schools) so you have a reasonable shot.

But yeah go to your college's advising office or the public library and see if you can get a copy of the MSAR ( a listing of med schools, their stats, description, etc.) to browse through. No need to blow any money buying that book.

ps. I think in your post title you meant advice (noun) not advise (verb). And I'm not trying to be a douchebagel. I know I like to be corrected when I use words or grammar incorrectly. It's the only way to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
ps. I think in your post title you meant advice (noun) not advise (verb). And I'm not trying to be a douchebagel. I know I like to be corrected when I use words or grammar incorrectly. It's the only way to learn.

Good word. I love it.

Can't say I didn't notice that and roll my eyes. I would hope somebody who has a 4.0 college GPA would know the difference.

But to the OP, you should throw in Duke. Why not? Fab school and you've got decent stats.

:laugh: :laugh: at the others who responded in this thread.

I second the idea of adding Duke and Emory.

I'd also add schools like GWU, some of the NY schools if you could imagine living there, if you like the midwest area, SLU and some of the chicago schools might be good to look into as well. But I'd get an MSAR which you can buy from AMAZON before you make premature decisions.

You can try http://www.mdpotential.com. It'll show you where people with your GPA and MCAT are most likely to be accepted.

MD Potential, from the people of MD Applicants. Now another opportunity to make life decisions based on anonymous self-selected unverified reports.

MD Potential, from the people of MD Applicants. Now another opportunity to make life decisions based on anonymous self-selected unverified reports.

Which you can then question with the help of your anonymous internet forum friends!

Thank the OP for asking. I almost asked for the advize that I needed......:eek:

Thank you very much everyone for your help. Also, thanks thayer for the correction. I will definitely try to get hold of a MSAR. :D