Advise on future, MPH Healthcare Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yomio

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new in public health. I completed my undergrad in psychology (focusing on the neuroscience aspect), before beginning school at UT school of public Health for management and a concentration in global health shortly after. I have no prior experience in public health, and one year into the program, I am still struggling to find my footing. Most of my classmates are professionals in the field with several years of experience.

How my Interest in Public Health Began: I am from Nigeria, and wanted to either go into the health field, either as a healthcare leader or physician. It stemmed from my interest to improve the health status of under-served populations. I saw many cases of people dying or becoming permanently injured either due to lack of resources or mismanagement of existing ones. It also comes from my personal values of helping others and getting humane treatment.

My Goals: Since I have not really figured out my goals, my conversations have been quite unproductive, as I have found that people are only able to help you when your goals are more specific.Mine are general. I am interested in expanding access of under served populations to healthcare and improving the efficiency of existing organizations. From what I have read, it seems that getting into project management, hospital administration, quality improvement, or interning for a consulting firm would be the right way to go.
In the future, I would like to work in developing countries, probably with an international organization like the WHO and also do some independent consulting.

The current situation: I do some work in data analysis for some projects that are being implemented in hospitals across the city, and I hoping to be more involved in it from a project management perspective. Also, I want to work in the US to get a lot of experience before going back to Nigeria. There aren't a lot of opportunities for entry level positions; what they need are experts.
So, I have these goals but not sure on how to get there, or even if my current thoughts on getting there are correct. I would like to hear your advise on possible opportunities that I should look for or any words of wisdom out there.
Sorry for the essay I have just written here :), but I felt that I had to give you guys a complete picture to help shape your responses. I look forward to your answers!

Members don't see this ad.